Meredith Vieira announced as commencement speaker at Senior Breakfast

Boston University President Robert Brown addresses hundreds of students during the senior breakfast Friday morning. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Boston University President Robert Brown addresses more than 2,000 students during the senior breakfast Friday morning. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston University President Robert Brown announced during the Senior Breakfast Friday morning in the Metcalf Ballroom in the George Sherman Union that Meredith Vieira, Emmy Award-winning journalist and former host of The Today Show, will be the 2015 commencement speaker. Vieira will speak to the graduating students on May 17 at the ceremony on Nickerson Field.

In front of more than 2,000 seniors, Brown also presented the Metcalf Awards for Excellence in Teaching to Binyomin Abrams, a professor in the chemistry department, and Pamela Templer of the biology department.

Brown also announced the recipient of the Metcalf Cup and Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Janice Furlong of the School of Social Work.

Kenneth Elmore, BU’s Dean of Students, presented honorary distinctions and awards to several student recipients. Elmore granted the Commitment to Service Award to Laura Kakalecz and the University Community Service Award to Swanson Ninan, both seniors in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Seung Joon Lee, a CAS senior, was announced as the class representative to speak at the graduation ceremony.

Elmore said that Friday was a day for the Class of 2015 to recall their college experience and enjoy their last days at BU.

“I hope that, throughout the day, I hope that for those people that need to study, they get that thing going, that’s great,” he said after the event. “But I hope people use the rest of the day to just catch up with each other, get together with each other, do a little more laughing and singing.”

Big screens surrounding the room displayed photographs of the class’s orientation before the students’ first year at BU.

Markiesha Ollison, a 2014 BU graduate, spoke during the celebration about the differences between life during and after college.

“One, I pay rent instead of paying tuition,” she said. “Two, I have to grocery shop instead of hoarding fruits and vegetables from the dining halls. Lastly, I pay a hundred dollars a month for a mediocre gym membership that I hardly ever use.”

Ending the festive morning, President Brown took the stage to reflect on the graduating class’s time at BU.

“You’re in the final stretch of your longest running challenge. Sixteen years of education leading to the finish line on that Sunday when you get your undergraduate degrees,” he said. “I think you should pull away from your time at Boston University remembering yourself not only as a member of Boston University, but a member of the community of the city of Boston, and never forget the phrase ‘Boston Strong.’”

After the breakfast, several seniors expressed both excitement and sadness as they attended one of their last events at BU.

“It’s kind of sad because we’re leaving, but overall it was nice,” said Samantha Chasse, a CAS senior. “I’m excited to graduate. I’m a little nervous, but it helps that I have a job afterwards.”

Karissa Parker, also a CAS senior, said she had a great breakfast and enjoyed the award recipients.

“I’m really happy that Professor Abrams is getting honored,” she said. “He’s like the best teacher in the chemistry department. He is awesome.”

Allison Siglinger, a student in the Questrom School of Business, said her college experience feels like it has sped by.

“Up until now, it hadn’t really sunk in that we’re seniors, and this is it,” she said, “we’re almost done.”

Zoe Laventhol, a senior in CAS, gave advice for underclassmen, saying there is a lot to look forward to and expect from BU.

“I wish I had taken more advantage of [BU]. I didn’t really know until this year a lot of the things available,” she said. “Hands down, Study Abroad was the best part of BU.”

Sidhanta Mehra, a CAS student, said his last days at BU have been bittersweet and that people staying should not take their time here for granted.

“Just make sure you use all the resources BU has to offer,” he said. “The problem is everyone comes here, but they don’t realize that BU can give you so much more than what you just see around you.”