Orientation Guide 2015, Sports

The Terriers Bark: An overview of BU athletics

Senior forward Dominique Badji. PHOTO BY JOON LEE/ DFP FILE PHOTO
Last year’s Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year Dominique Badji. PHOTO BY JOON LEE/ DFP FILE PHOTO

In the 2014-15 season, BU enjoyed another successful year of Division I athletics, highlighted by a berth in the NCAA national championship for the men’s hockey team. Looking ahead to this year and beyond, the Terriers are poised to compete at a high level in the Patriot League and Hockey East, as well as on the national stage.

Check out our brief guide to BU athletics as we forecast what to expect from the Terriers in the coming year.

Fall Sports

Men’s Soccer

Head Coach: Neil Roberts

2014 Record: 12-4-4 (6-0-3 Patriot League, first in the conference [lost in the Patriot League championship])

2015 Top Returners: Sophomore midfielder David Amirani (started every game as a freshman, four goals, two assists), sophomore defender Bjarki Benediktsson (2014 Patriot League Rookie of the Year), junior forward Felix De Bona (four goals over the season)

2014 Season Recap: After being picked to finish near the bottom of the Patriot League standings, the BU men’s soccer team proved doubters wrong in 2014 as it marched to a regular season conference title. With that in hand, BU won the rights to host the conference tournament, but ultimately fell short of an automatic NCAA Tournament bid when it lost to Bucknell University in the championship game. On top of Benediktsson’s award, Roberts was named Patriot League Coach of the Year and graduated senior forward Dominique Badji was named the Patriot League’s Offensive Player of the Year.

Expectations for 2015: The biggest issue facing the Terriers in 2015 will be how they handle the loss of four stalwart graduates. Badji, goalkeeper Nick Thomson, defender Kelvin Madzongwe and midfielder Jordan Barker made up the spine of last year’s team and led it to unforeseen heights. Winning another conference title may be tough, but with a coach like Roberts and depth across the board, there is every reason to believe BU can put together another strong season.

Senior midfielder Clare Pleuler. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/ DFP FILE PHOTO

Women’s Soccer

Head Coach: Nancy Feldman

2014 Record: 14-5-3 (6-1-2 Patriot League, second in the conference [won the Patriot League title, lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament])

2015 top returners: Redshirt senior defender Ariana Aston (started all 22 games for the Terriers), senior forward Jenna Fisher (seven goals, three assists), junior forward Erica Kosienski (four goals, three assists), senior midfielder Clare Pleuler (four goals)

2015 freshmen: Defender Mariah Alexander, defender Pietra Sweeney, defender Chelsea Churchill, defender Libby Closson, midfielder Kelly Harris, midfielder Dorrie Varley-Barrett, midfielder Juliana Chen, striker McKenna Doyle

2014 Season Recap: The BU women’s soccer team had yet another strong season in 2014. The Terriers had a record of 8-1-2 in their last 11 regular season games before beating the United States Naval Academy and Colgate University to renew their place as Patriot League champions. The conference championship helped earn the Terriers a spot in the NCAA Tournament, where they struggled to generate offense against rival Northeastern University in a 2-0 loss. Throughout the season, the Terriers were led by the senior duo of midfielder Jamie Turchi and defender Kai Miller, who both earned All-Mid-Atlantic Region honors last season.

Expectations for 2015: The Terriers will lose eight seniors, including Turchi, Miller and goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi. However, that should not stop Feldman and her squad from being at the top of the Patriot League again, led by Kosienski and Fisher on offense and anchored by Aston on defense.

Field Hockey

Head Coach: Sally Starr

2014 Record: 13-8 (5-1 Patriot League, second in the conference [won the Patriot League title, lost in first round of the NCAA Tournament])

2015 top returners: Junior forward Amanda Cassera (Patriot League-leading 32 points and 14 goals, All-Patriot League Second Team), senior midfielder Sofi Laurito (Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, National Field Hockey Coaches Association All-American Second Team), senior backer Rachel Coll (Patriot League All-Tournament Team)

2015 freshmen: Goalkeeper Kathleen Keegan, midfielder/backer Allie Doggett, midfielder/backer Maika Akroyd, forward Kara Enoch, forward Bridget Egan, forward Ally Hammel

2014 Season Recap: Following a 2013 season where it went 13-7 and lost in the conference championship game, the future looked bright for the 2014 BU field hockey team. Though faced with a number of ranked opponents throughout the season, the Terriers hung tough and earned a validating 2-1 win over the No. 8 University of Virginia in their penultimate regular season contest. From there, they cruised to the second seed in the Patriot League Tournament in an uncanny repeat of 2013. This time around, however, Starr’s bunch struck gold — the conference championship, with a 2-1 victory over regular season champs Bucknell University. BU went on to lose 2-1 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to No. 4 Syracuse University.

Expectations for 2015: Though the Terriers will have to cope with the loss of two-time Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Year Valentina Cerda Eimbcke, they will take solace in the upperclass triumvirate of Cassera, Laurito and Coll. These three pace a squad which outscored opponents 43-33 last season. Laurito will look to build on a Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year campaign, while Coll will anchor the defense and protect unproven goalkeepers Cammy Jensen and Kathleen Keegan. With talent and depth at each position, BU will be primed to make a national splash en route to a second straight Patriot League title.

Cross Country

Head Coach: Bruce Lehane

2015 top returners: Senior Alec Olson (12th at Patriot League championships), senior Kevin Thomas (15th at Patriot League championships), junior Sarah Saccoach (sixth at Patriot League championships), senior Shelby Stableford (ninth at Patriot League championships)

Season Recap/Expectations for 2015: Led by the reigning Patriot League Coach of the Year in Lehane, the BU cross country men’s and women’s teams will look to build on a 2014 campaign which saw both squads finish in the top-five at the Patriot League championships.

The women’s team stole the show last year, taking home its second consecutive Patriot League title. Though two-time Patriot League Runner of Year Rosa Moriello graduated this May, the BU women will certainly remain the odds-on favorites to take home the title once again. With seniors Michelle Sumner and Stableford paired with juniors Hallie Armstrong and Saccoach, the Terriers will hold their own among the Patriot League’s best.

Meanwhile, the men’s team finished fourth at the tournament after strong showings from Olson (24:27.10) and Thomas (24:30.30). With returning juniors Mitch Russo and Matti Groll, the Terriers will field a durable bunch heading into 2015.

Senior defenseman Matt Grzelcyk. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO

Winter Sports

Men’s Hockey

Head Coach: David Quinn

2014-15 record: 28-8-5 (14-5-3 Hockey East, first in the conference [won the Beanpot championship, won the Hockey East title, lost in the NCAA title game])

2015-16 top returners: Sophomore center Jack Eichel (Hobey Baker Award winner), senior defenseman Matt Grzelcyk (38 points, 50 blocks, Division I-leading plus-32 rating), senior forward Ahti Oksanen (25 goals, 13 assists), senior forward Danny O’Regan (23 goals, 27 assists), sophomore defenseman Brandon Hickey (17 points, 91 blocked shots)

2015-16 freshmen: Forward Maxim Letunov, forward Bobo Carpenter, defenseman Charlie McAvoy, defenseman Vasili Kolias, forward Jordan Greenway, forward Sean MacTavish, forward Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, defenseman Shane Switzer, goaltender Max Prawdzik

2014-15 Season Recap: The BU men’s hockey team bounced back from a disappointing 2013-14 season to have one of its best seasons in recent memory in 2014-15. In just the second year of Quinn’s reign as the head coach, BU made an improbable run to the national championship game against Providence College only to fall short. The Terriers did, however, reassert their dominance on both the local and national stages, winning their 30th Beanpot title over Northeastern University and winning the Hockey East for the first time since 2009.

The reemergence of BU men’s hockey this season had a great deal to do with Eichel. The freshman had one the greatest individual NCAA seasons of all time, compiling 26 goals and 45 assists for a total of 71 points. He claimed the Hobey Baker Award, given to college men’s hockey’s most valuable player, and was the youngest in league history to do so. Eichel’s play, combined with 20-goal seasons from O’Regan, Oksanen and graduated senior forward Evan Rodrigues, helped propel the Terriers once again to the national spotlight. The play of junior netminder Matt O’Connor, who signed a contract with the Ottawa Senators in May, was crucial as well. He posted an impressive .927 save percentage throughout the year, but unfortunately will likely be remembered most for his costly blunder in the national championship against the Friars that gave them the momentum to capture their first-ever NCAA title.

Expectations for 2015-16: Following the defeat against the Friars, Quinn stated that the finish was “tough to swallow,” but that the Terriers would be back soon. High expectations come with the territory when you’re a perennial D-1 powerhouse, and it certainly appears as though BU is primed for another strong season in 2015-16. Losing two senior starters, an outstanding goalie and potentially the best player in college hockey last season in Eichel — who is still mulling his options as the June 26 NHL draft nears — are certainly tough blows, but the team is boasting a large returning class and a talented group of incoming freshmen. These factors, combined with the leadership of the Terriers’ returning captain Grzelcyk, could lead to another strong season from the Terriers.

Women’s Hockey

Head Coach: Brian Durocher

2014-15 Record: 25-9-3 (15-5-1 Hockey East, second in the conference [won the Hockey East title, lost in the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals])

2015-16 Top Returners: Senior forward Kayla Tutino (Hockey East Second Team All-Star, 14 goals, 23 assists), senior forward Sarah Lefort (Hockey East Second Team All-Star, 23 goals, 27 assists), sophomore forward Victoria Bach (Hockey East Rookie of the Year, 20 goals, 14 assists)

2014-15 Season Recap: The BU women’s ice hockey team continued its winning ways in the  2014-15 season as the Terriers captured their fourth consecutive Hockey East title and earned a berth in the NCAA Tournament for the sixth straight year, though they were ultimately knocked out in the quarterfinal round by the University of Wisconsin, 5-1. From an individualistic standpoint, the highlight of the year was watching senior forward Marie-Philip Poulin, who was named a finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award, which is given to the best player in women’s college hockey. 

Expectations for 2015-16: Coping with the loss of the graduated Poulin will be trying for BU, but the return of Tutino, Lefort and Bach bodes well for their 2015-16 season. Much like every year, Durocher’s team will set the bar high and will likely find a way to peak when it matters the most.

Men’s Basketball

Head Coach: Joe Jones

2014-15 Record: 13-17 (9-9 Patriot League, fifth in the conference [lost in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals])

2015-16 top returners: Senior guard John Papale (9.2 points per game, 3.4 assists per game), junior guard Cedric Hankerson (15.9 PPG, .398 3-point field goal percentage, 1.8 steals per game), junior guard Eric Fanning (14.3 PPG in conference play)

2014-15 Season Recap: After finishing first in the Patriot League in the 2013-14 season, the BU men’s basketball team lost some key players and failed to stand out in the league last year. Due in large part to their defensive struggles, the Terriers finished with a .500 winning percentage in conference and were knocked out in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament by Lafayette College, who eventually won the tournament. However, the season had its bright spots, including a strong performance against No. 1 University of Kentucky and a winning streak of three straight games against conference opponents. Hankerson was named to the All-Patriot League Second Team and guard Cheddi Mosely earned All-Rookie Team honors.

Expectations for 2015-16: The Terriers are expected to improve on last season, as they had no players graduate this year. Hankerson, Papale, Fanning and Mosely now have the experience that they need to carry BU deep into the Patriot League Tournament. Junior center Blaise Mbargorba and senior forward Nathan Dieudonne will aim to dominate the paint for BU, a team in need of a big man to step up for them this upcoming year.

Women’s Basketball

Head Coach: Katy Steding

2014-15 Record: 5-25 (2-16 Patriot League, last in the conference [lost in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament])

2015-16 top returners: Junior forward Meghan Green (team-high 11.5 PPG, 6.5 rebounds per game), junior guard Sarah Hope (9.7 PPG, shot team-leading 80 percent from the free throw line), junior guard Courtney Latham (5.1 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 3.2 APG), redshirt senior guard Troi Melton (7.2 PPG, 3.2 RPG)

2015-16 freshmen: Center Milla Ekstrom, forward Naiyah Thompson, guard Payton Hauck, guard Lauren Spearman

2014-15 Season Recap: It was another difficult season for the BU women’s basketball team in 2014-15, when it suffered its second losing season in as many years. In her first year as coach of the Terriers, Steding could not find a rhythm, as the team finished last out of the ten qualifying teams in the Patriot League with a 2-16 conference record.

BU started the season with a 3-3 record, but lost 22 of its final 24 games, including a seven-game losing streak to close out the year. The lone senior on the team, forward Mollie McKendrick, did her part, leading the team on offense. Hope suffered an injury midway through the season and missed the final 13 games of the season. This was a decisive blow for the Terriers and for Hope, whose emergence as a leader on this team was notable.

Expectations for 2015-16: The Terriers will look to improve upon a disappointing 2014-15 season with the addition of five new players including two 6-foot-5 centers. The team is only losing one player from a year ago, McKendrick, but should make up for her production by inserting Monmouth University transfer Sophie Beaudry and freshman center Milla Ekstrom into the rotation. Size, combined with a full season from Hope, could help make Steding’s second year at the helm more successful.

Junior midfielder Cal Dearth. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Spring Sports

Men’s Lacrosse

Head Coach: Ryan Polley

2015 Record: 6-8 (3-5 Patriot League, sixth in the conference)

2016 Top Returners: Junior midfielder Cal Dearth (First Team All-Patriot League, 19 goals, 23 assists), junior midfielder Sam Talkow (Second Team All-Patriot League, Patriot League-best .659 faceoff percentage), junior goalkeeper Christian Carson-Banister (6-6 record, Patriot League-best .557 save percentage), sophomore attacks Ryan Hilburn and Jack Wilson (both recorded 25 goals, 15 assists)

2015 Season Recap: The BU men’s lacrosse team embarked on its second year as a varsity program in 2015 and made great strides throughout the year. BU held a 6-2 record near the end of March, but fell into a slump during April and just missed out on the Patriot League tournament. Highlights included the program’s first national ranking and an 18-11 victory over No. 18 Colgate University that marked the program’s first victory over a ranked opponent. 

Expectations for 2016: The 2016 season will serve as a litmus test of sorts for BU. In 2014 and 2015 the team was young and inexperienced, but now the majority of the roster will have at least one year of NCAA experience. Couple that with another strong freshman class and the Terriers have the potential to assert themselves on the national stage.

Women’s Lacrosse

Head Coach: Liz Robertshaw

2015 Record: 8-10 (5-3 Patriot League, fourth in the conference [lost in the Patriot League Tournament semifinal])

2016 Top Returners: Redshirt senior attacker Mallory Collins (38 goals), senior midfielder Ally Adams (26 goals, 10 assists), junior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan (.453 save percentage)

2015 Season Recap: The BU women’s lacrosse team was unable to stand out in a tough Patriot League in 2015, losing three of their last four regular season games to finish fourth in the league. Led by Collins and Adams on offense, the team defeated Lehigh University in the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinal by a score of 8-7 before falling to eventual champions, Loyola University-Maryland.

Expectations for 2016: Although the Terriers graduated attackers Jenna Boarman and Kelsey Marafioti along with defender Siobhan McCarthy, Robertshaw still has plenty of experienced playmakers on her squad, including Collins, Adams and senior midfielder Jill Horka. With seven seniors on the team next season, look for the Terriers to make a deeper run in the Patriot League Tournament.

Junior pitcher Makinna Akers. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Softball

Head Coach: TBD

2015 record: 17-27 (7-11 Patriot League, sixth in the conference)

2016 top returners: Sophomore outfielder Emma Wong (team-high .364 average, 16 RBIs), junior catcher Gabi Martinez  (four home runs, 27 RBIs, nine doubles), junior outfielder Moriah Connolly (.353 average, team-high 48 hits), junior pitcher Makinna Akers (3.45 ERA, 128 innings pitched, three complete games)

2015 Season Recap: Following a season in which they made an improbable run to the NCAA Tournament, the 2015 season was a disappointing one for the BU softball team. The team could never find momentum this year — coach Kathryn Gleason’s third and final season with the Terriers. The Terriers lost 13 consecutive games to start the season, a sign of things to come.

There were some bright spots though, as Wong emerged in a big way, leading the team in a number of offensive categories. The pitching staff performed below expectations but still kept the Terriers in a number of games. A full season from junior Melanie Russell and strong performances from junior Lauren Hynes and Akers were crucial to BU’s success on the bump.

Expectations for 2016: Losing a strong head coach like Gleason will be difficult for the Terriers, but with most of their key contributors returning for 2016, the team should enter the season with some optimism. Despite the loss of four graduating seniors, the continued emergence by strong sophomore and junior classes next season should lead the way for BU. Look for the Terriers to run their way into some victories next season, as Wong, Connolly and sophomore infielder Brittany Younan all stole over 15 bases for the team last year. All of these factors should lead to a much improved BU softball team in 2016.

Multi-Season Sports

Track and Field

Director: Robyne Johnson

2015 top returners: Junior Toria Levy (Hurdles/Sprints), sophomore Tehya Noell (Sprints), junior Cameron Williams (Sprints), junior David Oluwadara (Jumps)

Season Recap/Expectations for 2015-16: The past year saw the BU men’s and women’s track teams compete to great success in a number of indoor and outdoor events under the direction of Robyne Johnson.

The Terriers ran, jumped and threw at the New England championships this spring and earned six top-10 finishes. Top performers for the men included junior Ethan Homan, who finished third in the 800-meter run with a personal-best time of 1:50.67, and senior Ethan King, who took second in the shot put with a hurl of 16.71 meters. Meanwhile, for the women, junior Hallie Armstrong starred, finishing ninth in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a time of 11:03.09.

At the Patriot League outdoor championships, the BU women took second place thanks to standouts like Levy, who won the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.92 and the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:00.73. Senior Christina Wood also had a championship to remember, posting a season-best time of 55.55 seconds in the 400-meter dash.

The men’s team took fourth at the Patriot League outdoor championships on the backs of Williams, who won the 200-meter dash with a time of 20.78, and junior Justin Flynn, who ran the 100-meter dash in 10.78 seconds. Senior David Lagerberg also impressed, winning the 400-meter dash with a time of 46.90 seconds. In the field events, senior Reuben Horace finished second in the hammer throw with a season-best mark of 59.21 meters.

At the Patriot League indoor championships in February, the Terriers flexed their muscle, finishing third. Oluwadara carried the men’s squad, winning both the triple jump and the long jump. For his performance, he was named the Patriot League Male Field Athlete of the Year.

Meanwhile, for the women, senior Shelby Stableford led BU to another second-place team finish with a personal-best time of 16:53.52 and the win at the 5,000-meter run. The Colorado native earned Patriot League Women’s Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Year honors for her performance at the meet in Annapolis, Maryland.

With a multitude of returning athletes, BU track and field will remain a force to be reckoned with in 2015-16.

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14