Women’s basketball welcomes Tiffany Sardin to coaching staff

The Boston University women’s basketball team announced the addition of former University of Illinois at Chicago assistant coach Tiffany Sardin to the Terrier coaching staff on Tuesday.

“We are so excited for the arrival of Tiffany and the experience she brings to our program,” said BU coach Katy Steding in a press release from BU Athletics. “She is a terrific recruiter and has been an accomplished coach at UIC. As a standout athlete who has had a long professional career, Tiffany can really be a role model for our girls that aspire to play at the next level.”

A 2006 graduate of the University of Virginia, Sardin brings to the Terriers six years of coaching experience, including two at the Division I level. At UIC, Sardin led the Flames to a program-record 26 victories and their first-ever conference championship in 2013-14.

In 2012-13, Sardin served as an assistant coach for the University of Mount Olive, helping the team to an 18-12 record and an NCAA Division II Championship berth. The Trojans earned an automatic bid for the NCAA Tournament after winning the Conference Carolinas title.

Before coaching, Sardin played three years of professional basketball in the International Basketball Federation in Madeira, Portugal, earning the team captaincy all three years. She was also a three-time captain during her college playing days with the Cavaliers. During her senior year, she started every game, leading the team in rebounding and earning Cavalier of the Year honors from teammates and coaches.

“I would like to thank Coach Katy and the rest of the coaching staff for this opportunity,” Sardin said in the release. “I am very excited to be joining an amazing university and the Terrier Family. I’m looking forward to helping Coach Katy achieve her vision for this program.”