Jack Eichel selected 2nd overall by Sabres in NHL draft

eichey_JustinHawk
Jack Eichel set the record for points in a season by a BU freshman with 71 in 2014-15. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO

Boston University men’s hockey center Jack Eichel was selected second overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2015 National Hockey League Draft on Friday at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Florida.

As projected by many experts, forward Connor McDavid of the Ontario Hockey League’s Erie Otters was selected first overall by the Edmonton Oilers.

Eichel becomes the second-highest-drafted player in BU history, and highest-drafted player since goaltender Rick DiPietro was selected first overall by the New York Islanders in 2000. Eichel is the 11th Terrier to be selected in the first round of the NHL Draft.

Though drafted by the Sabres, Eichel has the option to return to BU this fall for his sophomore season. He is reportedly weighing his options whether to come back for a second year after having the most successful rookie season in Terrier history and helping lead BU to an appearance in the national championship game.

Eichel broke the school’s freshman record for points in a season (71) and was the nation’s leading scorer in 2014-15. He racked up countless accolades last season, including becoming the third player in BU history to win the Hobey Baker Award, given to the top player in college hockey.

The North Chelmsford native was also named the Hockey East Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year, becoming just the third player in conference history to win both awards. He also earned Hockey East Tournament MVP honors after notching 11 points in BU’s run to the conference crown.