Field Hockey, Sports

Hester van der Laan earns Patriot League Player of the Week honors

PHOTO BY MAYA DEVERAUX/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior backer Bea Baumberger Altirriba registered the lone goal for the Terriers Sunday vs. UMass. PHOTO BY MAYA DEVERAUX/DFP FILE PHOTO

After scoring the N0. 20 Boston University field hockey team’s first goal of the season and assisting on senior midfielder Sofi Laurito’s game-winning tally against the University of New Hampshire last Friday, junior midfielder Hester van der Laan was named the Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week Monday.

Van der Laan is no stranger to accolades, as she made the All-Patriot League Second Team as a freshman and the All-Patriot League First Team last year as a sophomore.

In light of that, BU coach Sally Starr knows what she gets from van der Laan every game and practice.

“She’s our spark plug, she epitomizes hard work, she has only one switch and that’s on,” Starr said of the Amsterdam, Netherlands, native. “I love that she plays hard and communicates well and she’s well-respected on the team.”

There are high expectations for van der Laan, as she was named to the Preseason All-Patriot League Team along with three of her teammates: Laurito, junior forward Amanda Cassera and senior back Rachel Coll.

Terriers come away with series split in Tri-Conference Cup

BU (1-1) opened its season competing for the Tri-Conference Cup, with games against UNH (1-1) and No. 18 University of Massachusetts Amherst this past weekend at New Balance Field.

The first matchup against the Wildcats ended in a nailbiter, as BU edged out a 4-3 victory off the stick of Laurito.

The second game ended in a 2-1 defeat at the hands of UMass (2-1), with the lone goal coming from junior backer Bea Baumberger Altirriba in the 63rd minute. The Minutemen jumped to an early 2-0 lead and never gave it up.

All three teams ended the weekend splitting their games and emerging from the trip with 1-1 records. BU will look to get back on track when they play Hofstra University Saturday.

Starr said she was encouraged by her team’s play this past weekend. Although the Terriers lost to UMass, she believes the game was a learning experience that made the team better in the long run.

“I’d love to be 2-0, but I was pleased with the UNH game,” Starr said. “We competed for 70 minutes and that’s what we need to do. We didn’t compete for the full 70 [against UMass] like we did against UNH, which I think led to giving up the two goals. Our downfall was our penalty corner execution, but this loss will make us better.”

BU boasts Preseason Patriot League Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year

Despite going .500 their opening weekend, the Terriers are expecting big things this year as reigning Patriot League champions.

As the 20th ranked team in the nation, they are looking to build off last year’s conference title and they are the favorites to claim the top spot once again.

In the conference preseason poll, BU was the unanimous selection as the conference’s top team, notching 72 points and all 10 possible first-place votes.

In addition to spots on the Preseason All-Patriot League team, Coll and Laurito were named Preseason Defensive and Offensive Player of the Year, respectively.

Although BU lost its goalkeeper Valentina Cerda Eimbcke due to graduation, Starr is happy with junior goalkeeper Cammy Jensen’s play.

“Cammy has done a great job in the first two games,” Starr said. “She’s really stepped up and I’m confident in her abilities this season.”

The Terriers also gained more depth by adding six freshmen, three of whom are expected to have a crucial role on this year’s team.

“We’re returning a lot of starters and we’re getting some talented freshmen along with players last year who didn’t play a lot,” Starr said. “Our depth and talent is definitely better this year.”

BU’s toughest test will likely be from last year’s Patriot League runner-up, Bucknell University.

“We’re taking it one game at a time,” Starr said, “but we do know we have a good chance at defending the Patriot League title.”