Labor Day draws union supporters to Boston Common

[mediagrid cat=”21193″]

An energetic crowd pulsing with drums and chants gathered at the Boston Common Monday to celebrate progress for labor rights.

The rally, hosted by the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union and Local 615 of the 32BJ Service Employees International Union, began at the Parkman Bandstand in the Boston Common with speeches from union leaders and activists.

Roxana Rivera, New England district director for the 32BJ SEIU District 615, congratulated the energetic crowd on the progress made in workers’ rights.

“These wins are changing the lives of workers and their families across the state, but we are winning because we are fighting,” Rivera said.

Several labor groups in attendance included the Jewish Labor Committee and Boston fast food workers supporting the Fight for $15 movement.

A banner hung above the speakers’ podium bore the day’s theme: “Invisible No More.” The banner celebrated recent victories for workers, recognition of individuals fighting for progress and the camaraderie blue-collar employees have always embraced.

Those present chanted “si se puede,” or “yes we can!”

After the speeches, supporters took up signs bearing messages such as “Better opportunities with union voices” and “Union Strong.” After leaving the bandstand, the crowd followed Tremont Street to make their way to McCormick and Schmick’s at Faneuil Hall to demonstrate against the restaurant’s poor handling of worker’s complaints about conditions.

The rally preceded a Labor Day breakfast hosted by the Greater Boston Labor Council that featured remarks from Massachusetts political leaders and U.S. President Barack Obama.

These changes in workers’ rights “advance fairness and dignity in Massachusetts,” said Rich Rogers, executive secretary-treasurer of the GBLC, in a press release.

Recent legislation has seen a higher minimum wage, earned sick time, a bill of rights for domestic workers and pay raises for airport workers.

Lucy Lugo, an organizer for UFCW Local 1445, said the march is critical to spreading awareness about workers’ rights.

“We are out here showing solidarity and if you move as a unit, you can make things happen,” she said. “We want to bring awareness as we walk through Boston, making sure workers and their concerns are heard.”

Industries represented at the rally include hospitality, construction, healthcare, education, retail and transportation. Many in attendance at the rally were workers who are directly affected by the legislation for which they demonstrate.

Radouane Fadel is an employee at Boston Logan Airport who has become very involved with labor rights groups since experiencing unfairness in his workplace.

“I have been on strike twice this year. Something there is not right if I feel I must strike so often,” he said. “I am here to fight for what is right for me and my coworkers.”

Fadel commented on the success he has seen since joining the movement, all of which he feels is from the help of the community.

“Since I have been working for these rights, it’s going well. I feel we are winning the things we want and getting more attention for ourselves,” he said. “We keep seeing more and more supporters coming out, which helps the cause.”

Katie Sweatman, a Wellesley College sophomore, said she thinks the expansion of workers’ rights has a national effect.

“I’m fighting for my family,” she said. “My dad is a mechanic and didn’t go to college. Sending me to college was an enormous sacrifice and I want to make sure he and everyone else in mechanical, blue-collar jobs get what they deserve because they really are the backbone of this country and they should get the support they need.”