Field Hockey, Sports

No. 19 field hockey finds success through team depth, youth

PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior forward Madeline McClain scored BU’s only goal in its loss to BC. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO

The No. 19 Boston University field hockey team has gotten off to a solid start in its first six games of the season.

The Terriers (4-2) have won four of their first six contests, with their only losses coming from in-state rivals and then-nationally ranked opponents in the University of Massachusetts Amherst and No. 10 Boston College, with both games ending in a score of 2-1.

However, the coaching staff said it agrees that the team is playing better as a whole this year as opposed to years prior due to added depth from freshmen and holdovers from last year.

Strong freshmen such as midfielder Allie Doggett as well as forwards Ally Hammel and Kara Enoch have added a new dimension to a team with most of its contributing players coming back from a Patriot League championship last year. With fresh legs coming off the bench, the Terriers look to wreak havoc again this year.

BU associate head coach Sarah Shute highlighted returning players as a major part of the team’s success.

“This year, 10 of 11 starters returned and that’s big,” Shute said. “Not all 10 [returners] start at the same time, but all contribute, which makes the game faster and more competitive.”

One of these veterans is sophomore midfielder, Kali Shumock, who has impressed the coaches with her improvement from last season. Although it may not show up in the stats, Shute said Shumock’s impact has been evident.

“She played last season but I’ve been really impressed with her this year,” Shute said. “She worked hard over the summer with skill workouts, she’s in the best shape, she’s played really well for us this year and her play is a direct result of her hard work.”

The bench, led by junior back Bea Baumberger Altirriba and junior midfielder Hester van der Laan, has contributed in all of the Terriers’ matchups this year, getting its fair share of shots on goal as well as goals and assists. Both Altirriba and van der Laan are tied for fifth in the Patriot League in points with nine apiece.

Even in defeat, the bench has played well. Against BC (4-2), junior forward Madeline McClain scored the Terriers’ only goal with the assist coming from Altirriba, who scored the lone goal in BU’s loss to UMass (4-2).

The bench play has even earned some reserves a position in the starting lineup. As evidenced by Altirriba and van der Laan’s promotions, results will get you more playing time.

Shute believes this will foster a competitive yet friendly environment by rewarding hard work and good play.

“We evaluate our players after every game, every practice so any given day, players can earn a start,” she said.

With the players continuing to push one another, the team will only improve in its competitive environment.

Going forward, Shute is confident this team can achieve its goals because of its depth, but made sure to stress that there are still games to be played and improvements to be made.

“We have to continue to show up every day, push ourselves to get better day by day,” Shute said, “and we’ll be where we want to be.”