New student group aims to tackle eating disorders

Boston University Student Sravya Vajram is working with the Multi Service Eating Disorders Association to create a new student group, named "Speak Up BU," aimed to connect college students and provide a support group for those wanting to discuss mental health issues. PHOTO COURTESY SRAVYA VAJRAM
Boston University Student Sravya Vajram is working with the Multi Service Eating Disorders Association to create a new student group, named “Speak Up BU,” aimed to connect college students and provide a support group for those wanting to discuss mental health issues. PHOTO COURTESY SRAVYA VAJRAM

Following an internship with the Multi-Service Eating Disorders Association this summer, Sravya Vajram, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, is teaming up with MEDA to create a peer support group, called Speak Up BU, to help students on the Boston University campus to cope with eating disorders and body-image issues.

“[MEDA has] a lot of clinicians and therapists … They’ll have workshops and clinical conferences,” Vajram said. “So, what I’m doing is I’m getting their help to start this up, and they’re going to be helping me try to organize some talks, like getting [MEDA] in for talks at BU, helping raise awareness in the BU community.”

The group will follow a structure similar to that of Eating Disorders Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous, in the sense that privacy is key.

“We’re going to be meeting maybe once a week, and it’s going to follow a lot of the same rules that apply to any EDA meetings” she said. “Your privacy is insured, it’s group policy that you can’t talk about what we talk about in groups with outside members. If you wish to remain anonymous … the group members have to respect that.”

Vajram said the main issue surrounding eating disorders is that there are not enough resources available for college students.

“I know a lot of friends who are in recovery who just got out of treatment and who are back in college, which can be a struggle to find support within the community,” she said.

“The next step is to expand.”

Katharine Lee-Kramer, office coordinator at MEDA, said in an email that Vajram is doing a great job with the group at BU.

“The more resources available for those who are struggling, the better,” she said. “The more that people don’t have to suffer in silence and isolation, the better. And that’s exactly what [Vajram’s] doing at BU, helping people come forward and talk about their struggles and also realize they’re not alone.”

Additionally, Lee-Kramer said MEDA’s network of treatment centers, providers and clinical services they offer might be of use to BU students who are struggling.

“What’s dangerous about eating disorders is that they’re not easily recognizable — it’s like a secret,” she said. “When you look at people in the community, it’s not something you can diagnose just by looking at them. Eating disorders don’t only involve anorexia and looking thin, which is the usual misconception that people have.”

Vajram said she is also trying to reach out to other colleges to see if students are interested in starting their own support groups. She hopes to expand to neighboring colleges such as Northeastern University and Boston College.

Several students expressed their gratitude for Speak Up BU and hope that it can deal with students’ eating disorders appropriately.

Maya Reyes, a freshman in CAS, said that having social support is one way to prevent and combat eating disorders in college.

“You need peer-oriented things [and] have people around you who care, people your age who are able to help out that can tell you ‘you matter,’” Reyes said. “You don’t have a parent or anybody around to really supervise you, so you could probably get away with having an eating disorder.”

Megan Barnard, a freshman in the College of Communication, said that entering college, the issue of eating disorder did not primarily cross her mind since her relatives were more concerned about the “Freshman 15.”

“For a lot of students, it’s all about having this buffet-style food all at once and multiple types of dessert-type meals, but I haven’t had much of a problem with it,” she said. “I know [body image issues are] definitely a thing, they’re definitely all over the Internet right now.”

Matthew Topoozian, a sophomore in the College of General Studies said that he believes BU does a good job assisting students suffering from eating disorders.

“I work with [Student Health Services,] and I know there are many resources available that SHS can refer students to,” he said. “It depends on your environment; if you’re around people who are supportive, then maybe not. A support network goes a long way.”