Following student input, Basho Express coming to Comm. Ave.

Basho Sushi plans to open a Basho Express in October next to Starbucks underneath Warren Towers. PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The George Sherman Union’s popular sushi vendor, Basho Japanese Brasserie, will soon open a Basho Express location on Commonwealth Avenue, occupying the storefront vacancy between Starbucks Coffee and the entrance to Warren Towers on Boston University’s Charles River Campus.

Basho Express’ exact opening date will be determined as BU Dining Services approaches the final stages of construction and permitting. Currently, it is set to open in mid-October, BU Dining’s Marketing Director Scott Rosario said in an email.

When BU Dining decided to fill the vacancy, the most important factor was adding to and complementing the portfolio of retail dining options currently available, Rosario said. Basho was chosen because it offers a new option the BU community can’t get at the surrounding food vendors, he said.

Rosario said that another important factor in determining the right partner was student feedback. The feedback was collected through the annual Dining Services student survey and the semi-annual Dining Services Student Advisory Group meetings. Additionally, BU Dining received feedback from a series of intercept surveys on the 700 block of Commonwealth Avenue.

“The results of all the feedback received narrowed down the choices that students were most interested in,” he said. “The last step was to find the right partner. Basho, already having an excellent relationship and presence with the BU community, was a one of several options reviewed.”

Carina Wong, director of sales and operations at Basho, said Basho’s name is known among students, and students seem to really enjoy its sushi.

“Basho has been providing sushi in the GSU for the past three years and has been very successful,” she said. “I think create-your-own-bowl and sushi roll are very popular. Students love the bowls, especially during lunch.”

The style of service at Basho Express will be very similar to popular national burrito brands such as Chipotle and Qdoba, and it will continue to offer Basho’s popular sushi bowls, Rosario said. It will not be like a traditional sushi restaurant, although it will offer limited seating.

“The concept will include a made-to-order menu of lighter fare focused on Japanese cuisine,” he said. “The menu will include a variety of rice, sauces, vegetables, protein choices with several options to wrap your meal or make it in a bowl. The concept is focused on quick service, healthy options that are easily taken to-go.”

However, unlike the Basho in the GSU, Basho Express will not take dining points. Students will be able to use convenience points instead. Rosario said this decision was made based on how the space will be used by the BU community and the makeup of the customers.

“The 700 block of Commonwealth [Avenue] has several small street front retail locations designed for quick service and with limited seating,” he said. “The dining locations in this area serve the entire community including part-time students, commuters, faculty, staff, guests and others who share this area of Boston with the university.”

Multiple students said they are thrilled about Basho Express, but have mixed feelings about it only taking convenience points.

Arohi Beri, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said the convenience of the new location is great to pick up food after class.

“I love sushi, so I’m really excited to have another option for where I can get sushi from,” Beri said. “It would definitely be more convenient for me after class because the lines in the GSU are crazy so it would be nice to be able to just walk right across the street. But, I do wish they took dining points because it would be easier than having to use my own money.”

Irene Cui, a sophomore in the College of Communication, also said she is looking forward to the convenience of the new location.

“I think it’s more convenient with another location,” she said. “A lot of people like Basho, maybe having a second place would mean less people and short lines.”

Karli Bendlin, a junior in COM, said she is excited for Basho Express and the payment actually works well for her.

“[The fact they only take convenience points] is good for someone like me because I live in apartment, so I don’t have a dining plan,” she said. “So, it works perfectly for me that they aren’t taking dining points. I will probably go there every day. It will be my new go-to lunch place.”