Field Hockey, Sports

No. 17 field hockey finds positives in weekend split

PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior midfielder Hester van der Laan leads BU with 16 points in 2015. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DFP FILE PHOTO

It was a tale of two different games against two different caliber teams this past weekend, as the No. 17 Boston University field hockey team split its matchups with Colgate University and No. 2 Syracuse University.

Coming into Saturday’s contest, it was important for the team to concentrate on the task at hand and not put too much focus on to the Orange (9-0) the following day. From the initial whistle, the Terriers (6-3, 2-0 Patriot League) attacked the Raiders (0-10, 0-2 Patriot League) and never looked back, notching their most convincing win of the year by a score of 9-0. The Terriers were led by junior forward Taylor Blood and junior midfielder Hester van der Laan, both of whom had two goals apiece.

However, after playing a struggling Colgate team, BU would face an elite team in Syracuse. The Terriers kept it close in the first half, falling behind by one at the break, but the Orange broke out in the second half scoring four more times, with BU getting its lone goal from freshman forward Ally Hammel.

After having their most well-rounded game of the season, displaying talent on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, the Terriers could not get the same momentum in their matchup against Syracuse. Their offense, which was nothing other than potent on Saturday, did not click Sunday.

BU coach Sally Starr did not hide the differences between her weekend foe’s skill levels.

“Syracuse is a top team and Colgate is a lower level team,” Starr said. “[The Orange are] very skilled and they outplayed us in that game. That’s one of the best teams in the nation and I definitely wouldn’t be surprised if they won the national championship.”

BU remains winless against ranked opponents

Syracuse provided a great learning experience for the Terriers, as they went up against one of the top teams in the nation. Although it kept the game close, BU could not hold on in the second half when the Orange exploded for four more goals.

Although BU has a respectable record of 6-3, the team feels it is not where it should be yet, according to Starr.

The Terriers have come up short in their three games against ranked opponents, losing in nail-biters to the University of Massachusetts Amherst and No. 11 Boston College, in addition to their most recent loss to Syracuse.

Starr said she is happier to have her team play in tough losses than in blowout wins, like its game against Colgate.

“We learn more about our team in these losses than in our victories,” Starr said. “These games are more competitive and will make us better down the road as opposed to wins.”

The team is not scheduled to face another ranked opponent the rest of the year, but Starr is not taking the Terriers’ future schedule lightly.

“We have a really tough matchup against American [University],” Starr said, “This Syracuse game will definitely help us prepare for the [American] [(7-3, 2-0 Patriot League)] game, more so than the Colgate game.”

Terriers look to continue strong conference play coming off Patriot League win

The Terriers remained undefeated in conference play this weekend with their win over the Raiders.

Not only have they won their first two Patriot League tilts, but they have dominated their opponents both offensively and defensively. BU has outscored their conference foes 12-1. Although it is coming off a disappointing loss to powerhouse Syracuse, the coaching staff is focused on its primary task — winning the Patriot League.

“We don’t have a predetermined host for the [Patriot League] Tournament,” Starr said. “So these conference games are very important because we’d love to host, and even though we’ve won on the road last year [in the tournament] in Bucknell, home field is a big advantage.”

Since joining the Patriot League in 2013, BU has found success against its conference, with a record of 15-3 including the Patriot League playoffs. The Terriers will have another chance at a conference win when they play American University this weekend.

“American is a tough team and they’re also undefeated in the Patriot League so far, so this game is big for seeding since only the top four teams make the tournament,” Starr said. “Home field could come down to this game.”