Women’s soccer seeks to extend unbeaten streak against Loyola

PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DFP FILE PHOTO
Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi has shone between the pipes for the Terriers, posting a 1.00 goals against average. PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DFP FILE PHOTO

After coming out victorious Wednesday at Colgate University, the Boston University women’s soccer team will play host to Loyola University Maryland on Saturday afternoon at Nickerson Field.

Despite starting off the season by scoring once in their first four games, the Greyhounds’ (4-5-1, 2-0-1 Patriot League) offense has woken up as of late. Loyola has won four of its past six decisions while scoring two goals in all but one of those matchups.

For its part, BU (4-4-3, 2-0-1 Patriot League) will look to avenge its regular season loss last season to Loyola — a 1-0 defeat that saw its seven-game unbeaten streak as well as its undefeated record in Patriot League play snapped.

One player that the Terriers will have to watch out for this Saturday is Greyhound senior Rosy Hayes. Hayes ranks third in goals and points (14) in the Patriot League, with her six scores totaling one more than the rest of her teammates combined.

When the game is on the line, Hayes has shown she will deliver late, scoring three game-winning goals this season to lead the conference. With a pair of assists on the season as well, slowing down Hayes’ attacking presence will force Loyola to rely on its other players to score.

Although both teams suffered slow starts to the season, BU and Loyola are atop of the Patriot League standings, with BU in first place overall based on overall record. The Terriers’ resurgence this season has been highlighted by their recent goal-scoring prowess along with their consistent defensive stops.

Dating back to its 1-1 double-overtime draw against Central Connecticut State University on Sept. 11, BU has given up just four goals and enjoyed a six-match unbeaten streak.

Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi has led the way for BU’s recent success on defense, allowing only a goal per game while registering a save percentage of .788, the third-highest mark in the Patriot League.

A good defense often paves the way for a good offense, and it is not any different in BU’s case. Prior to their 1-1 draw versus Central Connecticut (4-2-2), the Terriers were hard-pressed to put any goals in the back of the net, scoring just two times while allowing nine goals in a five-game span.

During their current unbeaten streak, however, the Terriers have averaged two goals per game, with two shutout victories along the way as well. BU has also maintained offensive balance, as nine different players have scored so far this season.

BU coach Nancy Feldman singled out her team’s improved focus on both sides of the ball as the biggest reason for its positive turnaround.

“I would say time,” Feldman said. “Our team started practice August 4 and started matches on August 17. It’s more important for a team to progress over time, and since August, our team has made important strides, particularly moving the ball up from defense to offense, and we’re starting to see the results that our girls have worked toward.”

If BU can slow down Hayes, it will force more pressure upon the Loyola back line. With most of the offensive legwork riding on Hayes, it is not a surprise to see Greyhound opponents have 16 goals, while they have scored only 11 themselves.

If the Terriers can force Greyhound midfielders and forwards to commit turnovers in opportunistic positions, their unbeaten streak could continue Saturday.

1. Susan Simpfenderfer

Go, Ed Moran! Love your coverage!