Sammy Davis shines in debut for No. 8 women’s hockey

PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Freshman forward Sammy Davis made her presence felt this weekend, notching her first three collegiate goals vs. UConn and Maine. PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Freshman forward Sammy Davis accumulated quite the resume in her youth hockey days, and those talents were on full display for the No. 8 Boston University women’s hockey team this past weekend.

In Friday’s clash with the University of Connecticut, Davis showed why she served as an assistant captain for the United States Under-18 Team at the 2015 IIHF Women’s World Championship. With her team trailing UConn (0-1-1, 0-1 Hockey East) 1-0, the Pembroke native made the most of a golden opportunity 8:53 into the third period.

After zooming down the ice, the 5-foot-4 winger fired her first collegiate goal past netminder Elaine Chuli to draw the Terriers (2-0, 2-0 Hockey East) even at one. BU ultimately eked out a thrilling 2-1 victory over the Huskies, but it was Davis’ spark plug role that enabled the decisive blow.

However, if not for some sage words on the bench, her golden moment likely would not have occurred.

“I was really hyped up at the beginning of the game,” Davis said. “In the middle of the game a senior leaned over to me and just was like, ‘Relax a bit, calm down, you got it, you know what you’re doing out there, just play your game.’ I relaxed and that’s when the third period started and everyone was riled up and mad we were losing. That’s when it started off.”

Without skipping a beat, Davis also adopted a starring role in Sunday’s 4-2 victory over the University of Maine.

Down 2-0 against the Black Bears (1-1, 1-1 Hockey East), Davis redirected a shot by junior defenseman Sarah Steele at the onset of the second period to cut BU’s deficit in half. Then, after an equalizing goal from senior forward Rebecca Russo, Davis provided even more heroics in the dying embers of the third period.

With 3:04 left in regulation, the Tabor Academy graduate got the best of Maine goaltender Meghann Treacy when she jammed home the game-winning goal.

“We’re getting tons of chances and we’re getting opportunities, so for her to get some pucks in is really important,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “She’s obviously a first-year player and feeling good about things. Real positive [start] and [Sunday’s] winner was a big one where she stuck with it and had a couple swats at it.”

Although Davis starred this past weekend, it would have been entirely understandable if the winger spent that time gradually adjusting to the rigors of college hockey.

Add in the fact that Davis encountered two Hockey East opponents right off the bat, and potential sympathy extends even further. However, she shrugged off any such dispositions, largely because of the speed of play her teammates demand in practice.

“I definitely think that practices are really intense, so the girls push me, the seniors push me, the juniors push me, and everybody is great,” Davis said. “If we didn’t have such an intense practice, I don’t think I would have been able to adjust as well, but the girls pushed me so that’s important.”

Noting some of Davis’ strengths in and around the goal, Durocher was also quick to point out how quickly his newest forward gem has adjusted to life as a Terrier.

“She’s somebody who is an accomplished player and you always want to get the first [goal] because it starts you off well,” he said. “When it happens in the first game it’s a real plus for confidence. She’s a kid who goes to the net, is real strong, powerful, a good skater, and it was great to see her get on the board.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.