Chris Dyment, former All-American, returns to alma mater

[rawr]

[/rawr]

PHOTO BY SARAH FISHER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Chris Dyment is a Boston University guy through and through. He played four seasons for the Terriers from 1998 to 2002. He met his wife, Erica, at BU, got married at Marsh Chapel, had all friends from BU as his groomsmen — “It was one big BU wedding!” he said. So, really, it was a “no-brainer,” in the words of Dyment, to return to BU when he was offered a position as the program’s Director of Hockey Operations.

When former associate head coach Steve Greeley left BU in August to take a position with the New York Rangers, he started talking with Dyment about the possibility of joining the staff. Dyment had just taken a job as an assistant coach at Bentley University, but jumped at the chance to work for his alma mater.

On Sept. 2, Albie O’Connell was promoted from assistant coach to associate head coach, and last year’s director of hockey pps, Scott Young, filled O’Connell’s spot. Dyment formally filled Young’s vacancy two weeks later.  

“Chris is a hard-working guy,” said O’Connell, who was a senior captain during Dyment’s freshman season at BU. “He’s very knowledgeable about the game of hockey, he’s very passionate about BU hockey as a program. And he was very excited about the opportunity to come back.”

Dyment had a heralded BU career as a defenseman, tallying 72 points in 142 games. The Montreal Canadiens draft pick was a two-time Second Team All-American, and was named to two Hockey East All-Star teams. He also served as captain of the 2001-02 team.

After graduating, Dyment had a six-year minor pro career, with stints in the American Hockey League and East Coast Hockey League. Dyment also spent the 2007-08 season playing in Italy. Upon retiring from hockey, he worked in construction for a few years, then started out as a hockey instructor north of Boston.

He spent the last two seasons coaching junior hockey for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs of the U.S. Premiere Hockey League. He said he appreciated the chance to go straight to the position of head coach without having to be an assistant coach first, but there was a catch: He didn’t have much of a staff surrounding him, and was responsible for all of the organization’s day-to-day operations.

Dyment said he thinks getting thrown into the fire taught him a lot. He served as a father figure to his players, most of whom lived far away from home. He was also responsible for travel arrangements and scheduling.

In many ways, he’ll need those skills for his new position with BU, where he’ll be in charge of scheduling, organizing team meals and communicating with staff at Agganis Arena and at other schools.

“I think [Dyment] is a guy that’s paid his dues coaching junior hockey and doing all the things you have to do to run a junior program,” said BU head coach David Quinn. “And he’s a good hockey guy, great guy, well-respected.”

So far, Dyment said, the challenges haven’t been too extreme. Young filled him in on all of his responsibilities and gave him all the contacts he needed. Dyment also shares an office with Young, so if any questions arise, he’s in a convenient setup.

“Obviously I’m going to have a lot of questions every day, so it’s good to just turn around and say ‘hey’ instead of writing an email or making a phone call,” Dyment said. “I just turn around, and he’s right there.”

Dyment welcomes the opportunity to work on the BU staff, as it gives him the chance to work in a successful environment and learn more that will help him pursue eventually his dream career.

“It’s a way to learn the ropes,” he said. “Ideally, I’d love to be an assistant coach or a head coach someday, but for right now, being so early on, I think it’s just a great way to learn how things are done in the professional manner they do it in, and the successful way they do it.”

With the Terriers primed for another successful season a year after falling in the national title game to Providence College, Dyment said he had a hard time pointing to just one thing he was excited about prior to the year.

“The attitude of all the players and the staff has been great,” he said. “I just think we have the right attitude right now. I’m just anxious for the season to get started.”

“Chris really loves BU,” Quinn said. “We’re fortunate to get him.”

That BU enthusiasm has remained intact his entire adult life. Even on the road with his junior team, amid a hectic schedule, Dyment watched BU hockey every chance he got — and did so passionately.

“That last game, against Providence, I was in a hotel room in Pittsburgh by myself,” Dyment said. “I think I was screaming so loud, the entire hotel could hear me.”

Sarah covers men's hockey and other sports for The Daily Free Press, and is the chairman of Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc. She served as Editor-in-Chief of the FreeP during the Spring 2014 semester and was Sports Editor in Fall 2013. She has also written for the Boston Globe and seattlepi.com. When she's not writing, she loves baking and going to concerts. You can contact her by tweeting her at @Kirkpatrick_SJ or emailing her at sjkirkpa@bu.edu.