Men’s soccer readies for visit to Lafayette

PHOTO BY ANN SINGER/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior right back David Asbjornsson will prove crucial to the Terriers’ hopes vs. Bucknell on Saturday. PHOTO BY ANN SINGER/DFP FILE PHOTO

After Brown University snapped the Boston University men’s soccer team’s six-game unbeaten streak Tuesday, the team will try to right the ship as it continue its conference schedule against Lafayette College on Saturday.

BU (8-3-1, 3-0-1 Patriot League) is unbeaten in its last 13  regular season conference games, going back to a 1-0 loss in 2013’s season finale against Bucknell University.

Going into Saturday’s tilt, the Leopards (5-3-5, 2-1-1 Patriot League ) are ranked third in the league behind the first-place Terriers, and have relied heavily on their defensive unit. Lafayette goalkeeper Brad Seeber leads the Patriot League in goals-against average, save percentage and shutouts.

Though he has played nearly 1100  minutes and 11 games this season, Seeber has let up only five goals, also the best mark in the Patriot League.

The Leopards defense has been equally stout, forcing Seeber to make just 3.18 saves per game – lowest in the league. In contrast, BU’s junior goalkeeper Matt Gilbert leads the conference in saves with 61 and is second in saves per game with 5.08, nearly double both of Seeber’s totals.

Lafayette’s defensive unit has not allowed more than one goal  in a game. Offensively, the Leopards lack any sort of attack, as they rank toward the bottom of the Patriot League in shots, points and goals, ahead of only Loyola University Maryland in all three categories.

BU coach Neil Roberts said the Leopards’ defensive line possesses a challenge for his team.

“They commit a lot of numbers to the defense, which makes it a little difficult to score,” Roberts said. “[You have to] play a little bit differently, you can send a few different people forward, and you try to get a goal. We’ll have chances, there’s no doubt. It’s just a matter of us taking those chances. We know we won’t have a lot.”

The Terriers have yet to drop multiple contests in a row this season, and will try to get their offense to rebound Saturday after being shut out for this first time this season against Brown (6-4-1).

Despite outshooting the Bears 19-11, the Terriers could not get past goalkeeper Erik Hanson. Sophomore midfielder Anthony Viteri  had three of his four shots go on net Tuesday, but did not add to his team-lead in goals.  Roberts says that he still has confidence in his offense, though.

“I’m not worried,” Roberts said. “We hadn’t been scoring … but we were creating chances. I think our possession is getting better. … We’ve got to finish for sure. The progress is good, we’ve just got to make sure we can continue.”

Before the bout with Brown, Gilbert and the Terrier defense had begun to click. During its six-game unbeaten streak, BU only allowed two goals.

Brown’s eight shots on goal are tied for the most in a game against the Terriers this season. The last time BU’s opponent recorded that many shots on net was Oct. 7 against Colgate University.

Roberts said Gilbert’s high save total has a lot to do with the Terriers’ offensive style of play.

“[The biggest concern] is scoring opportunities,” Roberts said. “The way our system works is we’re going to give up some opportunities because we’re trying to score goals – even though it’s not really flowing right now – and Matt’s going to have to make one or two big saves.”

Roberts also said that as long as Gilbert stays consistent in net, his offense would pick him up.

“If Matt’s clean and doesn’t make mistakes and can make one or two big saves a game,” Roberts added, “we feel like we can win most games.”