Offense proves streaky for No. 13 women’s hockey

PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Sophomore forward Victoria Bach has reinvigorated BU’s first line. PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Based on its track record and collective identity, one would expect the No. 13 Boston University women’s ice hockey team to routinely push the envelope on offense.

Yet, this past weekend’s Hockey East tilts against No. 7 Northeastern University and the University of Vermont revealed that even BU’s (4-4, 3-1 Hockey East) high-powered offense can be snakebitten at times in front of goal.

On Saturday, the Huskies (6-1-1, 2-0 Hockey East) silenced the Terriers to the tune of a 7-1 defeat, as goaltender Brittany Bugalski stopped all but one of the 31 shots that came her way. Only senior forward Jordan Juron could find a way past Bugalski when she capitalized on freshman forward Mary Grace Kelley’s first collegiate assist and point.

However, all other efforts were to no avail. The lack of offensive production was worrisome, but not nearly as much as BU’s defensive woes.

“I don’t have a problem with the fact we didn’t score [Saturday] because we got 32 or 33 shots,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “I have a problem at the other end of the ice where we weren’t very accountable. That’s where championships are won.”

Stuck in a rut, the Terriers wasted little time in Sunday’s 5-2 victory over the Catamounts (1-7, 1-1 Hockey East) in eradicating their poor form.

Sophomore forward Victoria Bach, who moved up to the first line this weekend, one-timed home a pass from senior forward Sarah Lefort just over a minute into the contest.

The high tempo continued throughout the first period, as junior defenseman Sarah Steele and senior forward Rebecca Russo both lit the lamp. Junior forward Maddie Elia also busted out of her scoring slump when she tallied in the second and third periods.

For Durocher, the signs of attacking life, as well as defensive solidarity, were encouraging.

“You hope you’re getting better,” Durocher said. “To get score pucks over the goal line and score some goals is important. We were probably a little more thorough defensively today, but it was just a baby step and at least a step in the right direction.”

Looking at the broader picture, the Terriers know that scoring can be a streaky endeavor. Individual centers and wingers often go weeks without besting their counterpart between the posts, as cold bouts are inevitable.

What is equally assured is that a hot streak is just around the corner. All one needs is a fortuitous rebound, a lucky deflection or a goaltender to have an off day.

“We did play pretty quick and pretty well,” Durocher said. “We got some big early goals which takes the lid off the net and also gives you a little bit of confidence. Probably, when you put those couple of things together it helped us get out of the gate well and feel good about ourselves.”

“When the kids are playing loose, it’s a lot better than if they’re grabbing they’re sticks too tight or trying too hard to pick a corner,” Durocher added. “Ultimately you shoot it wide or over the net or something.”

Luckily for BU, all of these typical highs and lows were packaged into a simultaneously disappointing and encouraging weekend of Hockey East play. As for the future? More cold streaks will come and pass. All that matters, though, is how the Terriers limit the damage.

“I hope there’s not too many cold streaks, maybe a cold day or a cold opportunity,” Durocher said.

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.