Field Hockey, Sports

No. 15 field hockey falls to No. 5 Wake Forest

PHOTO BY MIKE DESOCIO/DFP FILE PHOTO
Freshman forward Kara Enoch scored one of two Terrier goals against the Demon Deacons. PHOTO BY MIKE DESOCIO/DFP FILE PHOTO

The No. 15 Boston University field hockey team lost a tightly contested game, 4-2, against No. 5 Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, to close out its season Sunday.

BU (12-6, 6-0 Patriot League) fought hard, but could not come away with the victory against one of the best teams in the country.

Wake Forest (13-4) started things in the first half with a goal by senior Krysta Wangerin in the ninth minute.

With just over seven minutes left to go in the first frame, the Terriers finally struck with a goal from junior midfielder Hester van der Laan off a feed from junior forward Sara Martineau. The goal was van der Laan’s seventh of the season.

With the score knotted at one at halftime, BU had the chance to take the lead. But the Terriers could not get over the hump, as the Demon Deacons scored the next two goals to widen their lead to 3-1.

The separation started when Wake Forest capitalized off a penalty corner taken by midfielder Emily Conroe in the 44th minute. Conroe passed it out to fullback Shannon Eby, who in turn got it to senior Jess Newak for her 12th goal of the season.

Less than 10 minutes later, Wake Forest expanded the lead on a goal by freshman Jule Grashoff, her 11th of the season. Midfielder Jessy Silfer and freshman Megan Anderson were credited with the assists on the penalty corner success.

With things looking grim for the Terriers, they finally retaliated off a penalty corner of their own with under seven minutes left in the game to cut the deficit to one. The score was freshman forward Kara Enoch’s third of the season.

However, with four-and-a-half minutes left to play, the Demon Deacons put the game away with a goal off senior Madi Julius’ stick.

The Terriers played with an empty net, hoping for a last-minute comeback, but failed to score again.

Wake Forest will head into the ACC Tournament on a high note, having won three straight games.

For the Terriers, however, this loss makes them 0-6 against ranked opponents this season, accounting for all of their losses.