Women’s soccer keeps composure, nets pair of late goals to win Patriot League

PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior defender Rachel Bloznalis notched a goal vs. Loyola to help take the Terriers to the Patriot League final. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO

After dominating Patriot League opponents and maintaining a perfect conference record during the regular season, the Boston University women’s soccer team struggled to repeat that success in the Patriot League Tournament.

This was evident from the beginning of the Terriers’ (12-5-3, 8-0-1 Patriot League) semifinal game against Loyola University Maryland on Friday at Nickerson Field. Throughout the first half, BU was in a back-and-forth contest with the Greyhounds (6-10-2, 4-4-1 Patriot League), as Loyola’s aggressive defense kept BU from creating offensive chances.

Despite Loyola’s physicality, the Terriers remained composed and focused on their game. It paid off in the 57th minute, when BU earned a free kick off a foul on Loyola. Junior defender Rachel Bloznalis took the free kick from midfield, and blasted the ball past Greyhound goalie Colleen Folan.

“We definitely had to match their physicality from the start,” said senior forward Jenna Fisher. “I think that emotionally we had to stay strong and not get too into the chippiness, and overall I think we did a good job of trying to manage that.”

The Terriers’ resilience would be tested yet again, as Loyola defender Nicole Wahlig headed in a cross past senior goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi to tie the game just two minutes later. It was the first goal that the Terriers let up since an Oct. 6 match versus Harvard University.

However, BU would not let the Loyola goal derail it, as the Terriers remained composed on defense and persistent on offense in hopes to pull out the victory. They would do just that, as senior midfielder Clare Pleuler earned BU a free kick from 20 yards out in the 84th minute. Pleuler took the shot, which deflected off Folan and arrived at the feet of Fisher, who tapped the ball into the net to send BU to the Patriot League Championship game with a 2-1 win.

BU coach Nancy Feldman knows exactly how her squad pulled out the win against a good Loyola team.

“Leadership,” Feldman said. “Steadiness by the seniors, and having experienced things during the season where we had to come back.

“Time’s ticking away, and you just try to stay focused on doing the little things and not missing a second to give your all out effort, but to keep some level of composure,” Feldman added. “And that’s experience and leadership. That’s why you want a core group of seniors that get it, that understand what it takes and they can keep their poise under stress.”

Once again, the Terriers would have to keep their poise against Bucknell University in the Patriot League final. The game was a frustrating one for the Terriers, as they managed 21 shots after 85 minutes, but did not capitalize, thanks to Bison (11-6-3, 6-1-2 Patriot League) goalie Jessica Ratner’s 12 saves.

It all came together for BU in the 86th minute, as freshman defender Chelsea Churchill received the ball at the top of the box. She fired a beautiful shot that found the top left corner of the net, flying past Ratner and earning the Terriers their third Patriot League title in three years.

Despite all of the instances where the Terriers faced adversity, they remained resilient and clinched a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Feldman was proud of how her team kept its composure and was persistent throughout both games.

“I think we kept trying to not lose our composure and get frantic,” Feldman said. “The time’s ticking away and you’re thinking, ‘Oh man, there’s not a lot of time in overtime,’ and you don’t want it to go to penalty kicks, particularly if you’re somewhat dominating the game.

“I just think it shows their character and the trust they have in each other,” Feldman added. “It shows a lot of composure and poise to be consistent and continue to try and do it by separating yourself and making the field big. Sometimes it’s not about ‘I want it, and I got to get it now,’ you have to be a little patient, and I think we showed good patience and persistence.”

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14