Fish And Chipps: 10 reasons why Ronda Rousey is a badass

PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
Ronda Rousey made two Olympic appearances and became the first American woman to medal in Judo when she won Bronze at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

I despise boxing and have no interest in watching mixed martial arts, but I f—ing love Ronda Rousey.

She is everything we love about sports, and she’s everything the year 2015 desperately needs.

She’s brutally honest, deceptively humble, outright passionate, unapologetically different, #RealTalk, #BossMode, #GetAtMe and most importantly: a badass mother who don’t take no crap off of nobody!

Can it get any more badass than that?

Well, of course — it’s Ronda freaking Rousey.

True story: her mom taught her the signature armbar move she uses to finish off her opponents in every fight. Now that’s what you call, badass (with a Boston accent.)

On Saturday night, Rousey will be fighting in Melbourne, Australia, to manhandle her next helpless challenger, Holly Holm, in UFC 193.

Frankly, I don’t think the Aussies have any idea of what’s coming at them. Seriously mates, don’t come into this fight with that classic “chillax” attitude — Rousey will make you pay.

Ronda Rousey has owned 2015, and before she goes to school on Holm in the Octagon, which will probably last less than 30 seconds because that’s how Ronda do, these are the 10 reasons why I love this woman, and why she is the definition of badass.

1. She’s the first U.S. woman to ever win an Olympic medal in Judo

Long before she was THE Ronda Rousey, she was just Ronda Rousey, a superhuman 21-year-old Olympic judo fighter.

Rousey’s martial arts career didn’t begin in the Octagon, it started on the judo mats when she was 11. She made two Olympic appearances and became the first American woman to medal in Judo when she won Bronze at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

After she conquered the judo world, Rousey took her talents to MMA, and the rest is history.

1. She’s the highest paid UFC fighter, male or female

After her 34-second knockout of Bethe Correia in UFC 190, Rousey went on “Ellen” in September and told DeGeneres that she’s the highest paid fighter in UFC.

Damn straight. She better be the highest paid fighter in the UFC. It’s about time a woman was the highest paid athlete in her sport and got the respect she damn well deserves.

According to Forbes, Rousey has earned $6.5 million in her young professional career, and she’ll make an estimated $5 to $10 million when she rakes in all that cash from ticket sales and pay-per-view orders for Saturday’s UFC 193 bout.

They say “mo’ money mo’ problems,” but don’t believe that nonsense, Ronda. You keep doing you.

1. What you see is what you get, even during model shoots

One of the reasons why so many of us love Ronda Rousey is because she’s so transparent and honest, especially when she’s talking about body image.

That never changes, even when she’s outside the Octagon and posing in front of the camera.

Rousey fights at 135 pounds in the bantamweight division, but during her photo shoot for Sport’s Illustrated‘s 2015 swimsuit edition, the 28-year-old fighter told Cosmopolitan that she gained weight before posing for the magazine.

“I felt like I was much too small for a magazine that is supposed to be celebrating the epitome of a woman,” Rousey said. “I wanted to be at my most feminine shape, and I don’t feel my most attractive at 135 pounds, which is the weight I fight at. At 150 pounds, I feel like I’m at my healthiest and my strongest and my most beautiful.”

It’s refreshing to hear an athlete and superstar talk about body image and the importance of accepting yourself for who you are.

Thank you, Ronda. Finally, someone understands why I choose to skip leg day. Accept the person you see in the mirror and embrace it, even if you don’t have the most refined legs.

1. Even when Cardale Jones went into super creep mode, she responded to him

During the 2015 ESPY Awards, Ohio State University quarterback Cardale Jones took desperation to a whole new level and confessed his love for Rousey via Twitter.

Dude, we all love Ronda, but this is just flat out creepy. It’s an unwritten rule that you never hit on a woman through Twitter, especially a woman as amazing as Ronda. That’s just disrespectful.

But because Ronda is too cool for school, she forgave Jones for his rookie mistake and responded to him with this dope video.

Naturally, I figured I had to take a stab at this whole Twitter game too.

Ronda’s a little busy right now, but once she finishes business over in Australia, I feel strongly optimistic that she’ll get back to me.

1. Her last three fights have lasted less than two minutes

When Ronda walks into the Octagon, she doesn’t waste time. Literally, not even a single second.

Her last three fights have lasted just 64 seconds. I don’t think anything else needs to be said here — that’s what we call pure domination.

And for all the haters out there: name another athlete in the past five years that has taken care of business in his or her respective sport as quickly as Rousey has in all of her fights.

Get back to me on that one.

1. She killed it in “Entourage,” and her love interest was Turtle

Ronda is a woman of many skills, and last summer she took her talents to the big screen to play herself in “Entourage.”

With all due respect to one of my favorite shows, the movie was an abomination and if it weren’t for the 10 million celebrity cameos, I would’ve left and asked for my money back.

One of the few bright spots in the film though was Rousey, who played Turtle’s love interest and showed off her natural acting skills.

When Rousey beat Cat Zingano in 14 seconds back in February, the first thing I thought to myself was, “There’s no way Turtle lasts 30 seconds against Ronda.”

And when I saw the movie, of course Ronda didn’t disappoint. She made Turtle look silly when he stupidly tried to fight her in the Octagon. I know Turtle was trying to be semi-romantic, but he was just asking to get his butt whooped on a silver platter.

Is there anything this woman can’t do?

1. When it comes to dating, Ronda is all “Real Talk”

One of the things I admire most about Rousey is her willingness to be open with the public and talk candidly about her personal relationships with men.

In an interview with Maxim, Rousey answered questions from normal dudes about first dates, relationships and sex.

What’s the best way to impress Ronda?

“I love waking up to Sunday morning pancakes,” she said in the interview. “The whole process of making them, just out in the kitchen together making pancakes on a Sunday morning, that’s an experience every girl should have.”

Well, I guess I’m going to have to drop out of BU and learn how to craft the perfect chocolate chip pancake.

Sorry, Mom.

1. She put Floyd Mayweather in his place

Floyd Mayweather is a terrible human being and a convicted domestic violence abuser. Those are facts.

So when the retired boxer, whose win against Manny Pacquiao in the supposed “Fight of the Century” in May was boring and a complete waste of money, stupidly tried to make Rousey look bad recently, she was having none of it and called him out for being the lowlife he really is.

“I think I actually make two to three times more than he does per second … so when he learns to read and write, he can text me,” she said in a TMZ video.

Almost no one has the right to call out Ronda Rousey, especially someone who can’t read his own paychecks (But seriously, has it been proven that Mayweather can’t read?)

1. And called him out on national television

Did I mention that Floyd Mayweather sucks? Yeah, he’s the worst.

Back at the 2015 ESPY Awards, Rousey rightfully won the award for best fighter, and in her interview afterwards, she made it very clear to the world that she will not bow down to anyone, especially Floyd Mayweather.

1.  She’s the greatest fighter on the planet

Ronda Rousey is many things, but most importantly, she’s a badass who is pound-for-pound the best fighter in UFC and arguably the most dominant athlete on the planet.

She’s undefeated, 12-0, in her MMA professional career and has made her opponents look more like sparring partners than actual foes.

I’ve never cared or invested any interest in UFC, but Rousey is a fascinating figure who is literally taking over the world and doing it in style too.

She is bold and brash, but elegant and authentic.

I didn’t watch the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight for a multitude of reasons, but I will never miss an opportunity to watch Rousey go full “badass mode.”

This is 2015, and this is the Ronda Rousey Show.

Can you handle that? If not, then I highly suggest you get out of the way. Ronda Rousey don’t got time for your BS.

Isaac is a sports columnist for The Daily Free Press and a High School Sports Correspondent for The Boston Globe. Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, Isaac spent the 2015 summer interning at USA TODAY Sports and For The Win. Aside from his love of sports, Isaac has a severe Chipotle addiction and an unhealthy love affair with Ohio State football. Follow him on Twitter @IsaacChipps