Rebuilding no more, men’s basketball looks to make a splash

PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP STAFF
PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP STAFF

For the Boston University men’s basketball team, last season can be best summarized as a rebuilding year.

After losing three players to graduation and another three to different schools, the Terriers were forced to play inexperienced players throughout the 2014-15 season. This resulted in a 13-17 overall record, a 9-9 Patriot League record and an 89-64 defeat by Lafayette College in the Patriot League quarterfinals for BU coach Joe Jones’ squad.

“Last year, we had only four guys that had any playing time from the year before,” Jones said. “So that was tough going through that. But I think our guys have a much better understanding now.”

This season, the team will rely on that understanding and experience in order to become a top contender in the competitive Patriot League once again, as every player from last year’s roster has remained on the team.

The Terriers are led by the senior class, which consists of forwards Justin Alston and Nathan Dieudonne as well as guard John Papale. The three players combined to start 85 of 89 games played and averaged at least 25 minutes per game last year. They also combined to make up 40 percent of the Terriers scoring.

Junior guard Cedric Hankerson will also lead the Terriers in 2015-16, as he paced the team with 15.9 points per game last season and recently earned preseason All-Patriot League honors. However, the Miami native is dealing with an ACL injury and may miss a few games early in the season.

Hankerson is not the only Terrier who enters the new campaign wounded. According to Jones, Dieudonne recently suffered a concussion, sophomore guard Cheddi Mosely is dealing with a foot injury and junior transfer Blaise Mbargorba has a nose injury. All four athletes served as an integral part of the team’s gameplan last season, so it’s a relief to Jones that they are on the mend and should not miss too much time.

“We’ve had some setbacks with injuries this preseason,” Jones said. “It’s hard because we’ve had four of our top eight guys hurt. We’ve had those guys out for a good portion of time. But right now we’re almost fully healthy, and we have everybody at practice now. So we feel pretty good.”

Despite the health concerns, the Terriers were selected third in this year’s Patriot League preseason poll, with only Lehigh University and Bucknell University receiving more votes. Even more impressive is Sports Illustrated predicting BU to win the Patriot League and earn a bid in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2011.

These preseason accolades indicate that, even with inexperienced members of the team playing significant minutes, there was plenty to like from BU last season. The Terriers finished fourth in the Patriot League in rebounding margin (plus-0.8), and second in 3-point shots made per game.

However, one bleak spot in the Terriers’ game that has to be addressed is the backcourt play. Despite Papale averaging 3.4 assists per game last season, BU as a whole ranked eighth in the conference in assists per game and turnover margin. The Terriers’ assist-to-turnover ratio was a disappointing 1.00.

This season, Jones expects the guards to improve from last season and lead to better play from the whole team.

“I like our team this year,” Jones said. “We have all of our guys back, we got [sophomore guard] Eric Johnson healthy and [freshman guard] Kyle Foreman, so we have point guard play now, something we didn’t have last year. So the team’s coming together.”

“I think we just have to keep trying to get better,” Jones added. “Our guys just need to continue to have a better understanding and awareness of what we’re trying to do with our offensive and defensive philosophy, and we’ve been working hard on that.”

Foreman, who was ranked the No. 6 player in the state of Washington by ESPN.com, is one of three freshmen vying for a place in the rotation this season. He is joined by fellow guards Kamali Chambers and Brandon Johnson, as they will look to help BU overcome their backcourt woes and finish atop the Patriot League.

Jones had nothing but positive things to say about the freshmen, and Foreman in particular.

“I think right now, Kyle Foreman will be plugged into the rotation, and deservedly so,” Jones said. “I love what [Chambers and Johnson] bring to the team. Both guys have really helped our team, they play with intensity and are very good athletes. I think those guys are extremely coachable. I like those freshmen, and I think they’ve really helped us already.”

The Terriers begin their season Nov. 13, when they square off against hometown rival Northeastern University at Case Gym. BU then matches up with the University at Albany on Nov. 16 to kick off the Hall of Fame Classic before going on a five-game road trip, which includes a jaunt with No. 2 University of Kentucky on Nov. 24. Jones’ squad returns home to play cross-river rival Harvard University on Dec. 8.

Other notable non-conference games will be Dec. 2 at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and a home game vs. the University of New Hampshire on Dec. 21.

The Terriers will kick off conference play at the College of the Holy Cross on Dec. 30. Just three days later, BU will look to knock off Patriot League preseason favorite Lehigh University and its star center Tim Kempton, who earned conference preseason Player of the Year honors. Jones’ team will also have its hands full when it hosts senior Chris Hass and Bucknell University on Jan 23.

For BU, the most important factor this season will be its team chemistry. With every player from last year returning, the Terriers now have a solid group of guys together who all have at least a season of playing experience. For Jones, this makes it much easier to create a threat in the Patriot League.

“It’s always good to have continuity in sports,” Jones said, “to have guys that you don’t have to start from ground zero [with].

“Compared to where we were last year at this time, I think we’re obviously further ahead in understanding,” Jones added. “We have a lot of work to do, and we have a long way to go, but I like our team. I think the pieces fit and we have terrific chemistry, and that’s very important in sports, not only in basketball.”

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14