ICA opens doors to experimental art, imaginative spaces for college students

The Institute of Contemporary Art hosted a college night Tuesday. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

College students from 18 schools around the Boston area were welcomed to the Institute of Contemporary Art Tuesday for the first ever ICA College Night.

As students entered the colorfully lit lobby, they were greeted by the electronic beats of DJ Knife. After showing student IDs and checking in their coats, attendees were free to explore the art galleries and special activities taking place.

Kate Ryan, special events coordinator at the ICA, spoke of the importance of visiting and introducing students to the museum for the first time.

“I think we are a really important cultural institution in the city,” Ryan said, “so I think it’s a great benefit for college students that they might not even know they have, that you know the university is paying for a membership.”

The first floor featured a photo booth and Color Theory, an area to “unleash your inner artist” and create artwork in the Bank of America Art Lab.

After taking the giant glass elevator to the second floor, attendees entered into the Barbara Lee Family Foundation Theater. The space was transformed into a game room of tremendous proportions. Students played jumbo-sized versions of Connect Four, Jenga and checkers, all while enjoying beverages and snacks provided by IZZE and Chef Keenan Langlois of The Sinclair.

A popular part of the event was the new art exhibition on the fourth floor, “Leap Before You Look: Black Mountain College 1933-1957.” Throughout the evening, ICA staff members led 15-minute “pop up talks” about individual pieces in the exhibition.

Kate McBride, ICA marketing associate, spoke highly of the exhibit, explaining its background and importance to students.

“[The] exhibit delves into progressive, experimental and radical school Black Mountain College,” said McBride. “This liberal arts college put arts at the center of its curriculum. I think this exhibition not only is a great source of inspiration, especially for students, but is also full of amazing performance, from choreography and dance to music and performance art.”

Lou Whiting, a freshman at Massachusetts College of Art and Design, said she had wanted to visit the ICA for a long time. When she learned about College Night the day before, Whiting thought it was the perfect opportunity to explore the museum with friends.

“I really love all of the artists they have in the Black Mountain College exhibit,” Whiting said. “I enjoyed just looking around the galleries too. I don’t come here often but there’s a very relaxed atmosphere here that you don’t usually find in a museum space so that’s been really cool.”

Megan Foster, a senior at Emerson College, also shared her favorite part of the night.

“I think that you have the chance to speak with people specifically about each piece,” Foster said. “I really love abstract art but I’m not an artist who has a particular medium. I do publishing, so a lot of the time I don’t get the point of [abstract art]. It’s nice to meet other college students who are trying to figure that out or who think they know.”

Foster then added, “If College Night continues, that would be great. It’s really great to have a community and I think artists deserve to have a community.”

Ryan also addressed some lingering questions about ICA College Night.

“It’ll be an annual thing,” she said. “And then as long as you are enrolled in the participating universities you can come anytime to see the exhibitions.”

Whether frequent visitors or first-time attendees, students found enjoyment in the creative and welcoming atmosphere of the evening. McBride encouraged all students to return to the ICA and pay attention to the artwork displayed, as they will likely discover something new each time they visit.

“The arts are inspiring, encourage new perspectives and discourse,” McBride said. “[They] flex the right side of the brain, which can be neglected in our busy day-to-day lives, but is so important for critical thinking, imagination and decision making.”