Power play suffers for women’s hockey against Cornell

PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO
Sophomore center Victoria Bach broke through against Ohio State on Sunday with two goals and two assists. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO

In its first game of this past weekend, the Boston University women’s hockey team fell to Cornell, 4-2. During the tilt, the Terriers had seven power-play opportunities but only capitalized on one of them.

The Big Red (5-5-2), in contrast, kill 79.2 percent of their penalties, good for eighth in the ECAC.

The Terriers’ (11-7, 8-3 Hockey East) first power-play chance came nearly seven minutes into the first period, when Cornell freshman Pippy Gerace was sent to the box on an interference call. With just a few seconds left on the man advantage, senior forward Sarah Lefort netted a goal to put the Terriers on the board, and tied the game at one.

BU’s power-play success ended there. The Terriers had two more opportunities in the second period, but only put up two shots during the chances.

Entering the final frame, the Big Red led 4-2. BU coach Brian Durocher said he thought the game was closer than the score indicated, and that perhaps the Terriers were playing slightly better than their opponent. However, BU could not confirm his suspicions with a goal, despite having four third-period power-play chances.

“I felt like we were a little hurried, particularly in the third period,” Durocher said of his power-play unit. “We would make one or two passes then shoot the thing. If they made three or four, just to make [Cornell] move an extra time, you get an opportunity.”

Durocher credited Cornell’s penalty kill unit for some of the Terriers’ struggles.

“They blocked 25 shots, and I bet 12-15 of them were on our power plays,” he said.

Victoria Bach records career-high four-point night

After the loss against Cornell, BU went into a game against Ohio State University on Sunday eager to prove itself. Sophomore forward Victoria Bach represented the Terriers’ determination, as she netted two goals and two assists in the 5-3 win over the Buckeyes (6-10).

The Terriers quickly took a lead over the Buckeyes, scoring two goals in the first period, including a buzzer-beater from sophomore forward Rebecca Leslie.

Ohio State got on the board in the second period, answering a third Terrier goal, and making the score 3-1.

Bach entered the final 20 minutes with two assists under her belt. She scored her eighth goal of the season 1:44 into the third period off an assist from senior defender Lillian Ribeirinha-Braga.

The Buckeyes made it a one-goal game with two tallies in two minutes, but Bach brought an end to Ohio State’s momentum with a goal halfway through the period, sealing the Terriers’ 5-3 win.

The Milton, Ontario, native is second on the team in goals and points with nine and 20, respectively.

Goaltending gap emerges

Early in the season, Durocher made it clear he intended to split ice time between his two primary goaltenders, junior Victoria Hanson and sophomore Erin O’Neil.

In early matches both performed well, and neither seemed to be significantly better than the other. However, in recent games, especially this weekend, Hanson has faltered more often.

“Victoria has seemed to have lost her confidence,” Durocher said. “She’s fighting the puck as they say in the goalie world.”

In the clash with Cornell, Hanson made eight saves, but gave up four goals in the first forty minutes.

O’Neil started the third period, made five saves and prevented the Big Red from doing further damage.

“We needed to see if we could jumpstart it,” Durocher said on his decision to pull Hanson. “We were down 4-2, but it was a close hockey game. A new face, new energy, but we didn’t get that goal.”

Hanson’s record is now 4-5, and she has a save percentage of .882, good for 10th in Hockey East.

O’Neil started in goal against Ohio State and the win improved her record to 7-2. Her .907 save percentage places her fifth in the league.