Top two lines carry women’s hockey against UConn

PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DFP FILE PHOTO
Sophomore forward Rebecca Leslie leads the Terriers with 26 points. PHOTO BY FALON MORAN/DFP FILE PHOTO

When the chips are down in hockey, most coaches can look to one elite line to create a scoring opportunity or swing momentum in their favor.

As the Boston University women’s hockey team’s home-and-home slate this past weekend against the University of Connecticut revealed, the Terriers (12-7-1, 9-3-1 Hockey East) have a far greater luxury.

BU’s top two lines combined to score seven goals and dish out nine assists, and gave UConn (7-8-3, 3-5-1 Hockey East) little breathing room in its defensive zone.

“It’s always [good] to have two big lines because either one can potentially get two, three or four goals in a given game, and they’ve shown that,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “I’m happy that the other two lines played well, but it’s always nice to have your consistency with those two lines being pretty talented lines.”

Showcasing impressive depth, BU’s second line led the way in Saturday’s 4-4 overtime draw. Senior forward Rebecca Russo tallied twice in the first period, while sophomore forward Rebecca Leslie and junior forward Maddie Elia combined for three assists.

Even though their efforts weren’t enough to earn two crucial points on the road, Russo said that she’s comfortable alongside with her fellow winger and center.

“I think from the time coach put us together, we gelled automatically,” Russo said. “It just feels great knowing that I have two great linemates by my side to pass me the puck and I pass them the puck knowing they’ll score a goal or we’re going to generate some offense. We have a very quick and smart line, whether it’s in the defensive zone getting the puck out or the offensive zone cycling [the puck].”

In Saturday’s 4-3 win over the Huskies, it was instead BU’s top line that set UConn back on its heels. Senior forwards Sarah Lefort and Kayla Tutino, as well as sophomore forward Victoria Bach, wasted little time in cracking the stat sheet.

Lefort assisted Tutino’s opener 37 seconds in, finished a short-handed breakaway opportunity midway through the first period and added the game-winner with 5:40 left in regulation. Meanwhile, Bach added two assists of her own and beat UConn goaltender Elaine Chuli with a top corner snipe on BU’s third tally.

Given that the line boasts an assistant captain (Lefort), captain (Tutino) and reigning Hockey East Rookie of the Year (Bach), their pinpoint passing is no mistake.

“We’re trying to apply [chemistry] in practice, and we came together a few weeks ago and said we have to be better,” Lefort said. “It starts in practice and then translates to the games. We’re just talking more, being more aware of where we are on the ice and feeding off each other.”

In all, it didn’t matter if the top or secondary unit was on the ice this past weekend for BU, as both wreaked havoc in the offensive zone. By meshing their individual and collective talents, they combined for 49 shots this weekend and account for 122 of BU’s 186 points for the season.

They displayed the depth Durocher has preached all year long, where anybody can dictate the nature of the game.

“I definitely think we have depth through the first line to the fourth line and to the first ‘D’ pair to the [third] ‘D’ pair,” Russo said. “The first line had a hell of a game [Sunday] and it just takes a little less pressure off of us, but I thought that … we had a great game.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.