Forty percent released from Massachusetts’ prisons without supervision during parole or probation

The Council on State Governments released a review Tuesday that revealed several people were released from prison into Mass. without supervision of a probation or parole officer. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA

Following a Jan. 12 review of Massachusetts’ criminal justice system, The Council of State Governments confirmed that two in five people released from the Commonwealth’s prisons are freed without the supervision of a parole or probation officer.

The review was run by a Steering Committee comprised of Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito, Senate President Stan Rosenberg, House Speaker Robert DeLeo and Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph Gants, an Oct. 28 press released stated.

The Steering Committee announced in October that a 25-member Working Group, consisting of executive, legislative and judicial divisions, would work with The Council of State Governments’ Justice Center for policy reform.

Billy Pitman, a spokesperson for Baker, wrote in an email that the Steering Committee’s work on the review would carry on through the CSG and Working Group’s future investigations.

“The administration was pleased to work with legislative and judicial leaders to invite an independent review of Massachusetts’ criminal justice policies by the Council of State Governments’ Justice Center, and looks forward to participating alongside a bipartisan group of qualified individuals from across statement government and the criminal justice system throughout this process,” Pitman wrote in the email.

DeLeo said in the release that the Working Group’s diverse perspectives bring insightful perspectives into the reform process.

“By using a data-driven analysis, with the input of the appointees, we will ensure that our policies help reduce recidivism and incarceration rates, are cost-effective and are structured in a way that best serves the citizens of the Commonwealth,” Deleo said in the release.

Jason Lydon, founder of Black and Pink, said that while he is in favor of government involvement in reforming the criminal justice system, the constant reviews have been done before. Black and Pink is a national organization that supports the abolition of the prison industrial complex against LGBT people.

“There is really nothing new that we’re actually learning in … recognizing that incarceration is a problem in Massachusetts,” Lydon said. “So while I’m glad that the legislatures are considering these things, actions would be far more loud than research.”

Lydon said that he believes the government’s analysis into the lack of parole or probation for two out of five prisoners suggests that supervision is necessary, and he favors parole over probation for prisoners.

“We do not need a single more person on probation,” Lydon said. “That is a system that creates revolving doors. [Probation officers] are not actually providing resources, support and care, they’re simply a surveillance apparatus that forces people back into prison. That would just increase greater harm … But if we are changing our parole system so people are getting out earlier, that would be fantastic.”

Kevin Kasper, 21, of Fenway, said the Steering Committee’s findings about released prisoners without parole or probation are worrisome.

“I’m unsettled because it’s supposed to be a rehabilitation system and there are for-profit prisons where you earn money based on how many prisoners you have,” he said. “You don’t have a parole officer. Who’s helping you when you get out?”

Several residents agreed that despite government efforts to reform the criminal justice system, there is still a long way to go in terms of equality.

Hannah Grise, 20, of Fenway, said she believes race plays a role in police handling of crimes.

“I think we have a national problem with racial bias within how police handle things,” she said. “I think we do have that [problem] here in Boston here as well.”

Jenna Wurster, 23, of Brighton, said the treatment of prisoners within the criminal justice system is relative.

“I think there is a huge imbalance in the criminal justice system in general because, at least in my opinion, it is totally contextual,” she said. “Somebody released under a violent crime is very different than someone who got caught smoking pot or selling a bag of pot to a friend and got arrested.”

1. So random 20 somethings are interviewed and asked for their uninformed, prejudiced, and factually umsupported opinions on criminal justice issues? Really? Who cares what they think?