Sports Comedy Corner: Evolving sports media

Skip Bayless represents traditional sports talk media in many ways. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

We all know the formula.

One guy shouts his opinion from one end of the table while another guy responds with the opposite take.

“Tony Romo is not a top-10 quarterback in the league.”

“Tony Romo is a top-10 quarterback, you moron.”

“No way. He’s definitely 11.”

The pair argues back and forth, often in a childish manner, until the segment is over and nobody wins. Neither party offers a compromising opinion nor admits to agreeing with any statement from their adversary.

This is unfortunately the norm of television sports shows — the Skip Bayless or Stephen Smith model. Unstimulating discussion, tired arguments and sometimes downright staged debate.

But there’s a new way to practice sports media. A more laid-back, conversational, yet insightful approach.

And I believe this new model is ultimately going to win out.

Back in May, Bill Simmons made a huge splash when he parted ways with ESPN. Well, “parted ways” may be the wrong term. He was fired (ESPN decided not to renew his contract) after speaking out against the NFL and Roger Goodell in his popular podcast, “The B.S. Report.”

Simmons is an interesting case because he represented the anti-establishment even while working for the World Wide Leader in Sports. He wrote weekly columns on his now-defunct Grantland, which stood out because of his strong writing voice and uncanny knowledge. He also utilized audience interaction, as he answered reader questions in his always-hilarious “Mailbag” columns.

Grantland, a site that featured fresh, conversational writing on pop culture and sports, was shut down after Simmons departed. But its years left a mark on sports media. You could enhance your understanding of the NBA or NFL with thoughtful, analytical pieces from Zach Lowe or Bill Barnwell. Or you could indulge in a stimulating discussion of last night’s “Breaking Bad” or “Game Of Thrones” — which, frankly, aren’t even about sports.

Simmons hasn’t lost a step since leaving ESPN. His new podcast, “The Bill Simmons Podcast,” remains the most-downloaded sports podcast, although he doesn’t only talk sports. He’s recorded many non-sports pods, notably one with “Creed” actor Michael B. Jordan in November.

During football season, Simmons guesses the NFL gambling spreads in a weekly Monday pod with Sal Iacono, or “Cousin Sal.” The goal of the “Cousin Sal” pod isn’t to yell and argue. It’s a conversation between buddies that is meant to be entertaining and relatable.

Simmons and Cousin Sal sprinkle in lots of humor, too. For example, in every episode, both Simmons and Iacono pitch a fake television show idea that streams on ridiculous platforms such as Spotfiy or eBay.

In recent years, comedy has become an increasingly larger part of the sports media landscape. Satirical sports sites, such as the popular blog Barstool Sports, entertain readers with personality-driven commentary on sports and pop culture.

Barstool Sports isn’t a sports site first. It’s a comedy site. It’s meant to make readers laugh. If you’ve never been to the site, you may not understand its humor. And yes, some people may find jokes offensive, but that’s comedy. Ever been to a standup show?

But Barstool also separates itself with its fan-driven sports analysis. Nothing is sugarcoated as New York writer “KFC” wails on the Mets ownership for not doing enough or “El Pres” says he cares about nothing more than the Patriots.

Barstool was just bought out by digital media powerhouse The Chernin Group, and the company is moving all of its employees to an office in New York. With better infrastructure, the crew will make even higher quality content (they make videos too, of course). They’re only getting bigger.

Sticking with the Boston theme (Barstool was founded in Boston), how about Katie Nolan from FOX Sports? The Boston native has ascended up the sports media food chain with her sports comedy show “Garbage Time.”

The show is basically set up like a late-night TV show (think John Oliver or Jon Stewart), except Nolan riffs mainly on sports.

Nolan is quick-witted, smart and refuses to hold back. Whereas other sports talk shows won’t go after the institutions they cover, Nolan will if necessary. In October, she went after Greg Hardy, as well as the NFL and the media for enabling Hardy.

“Greg Hardy had to pretend to respect women for 12 minutes,” she said. “Just 12 minutes. And he couldn’t even do that.”

Nolan’s serious when she needs to be, but usually she’s straight hilarious. Her sports commentary is honest and relatable and her skits kill (think SNL-esque).

In one skit, Nolan plays therapist to former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress after he went on a Twitter rant against the referees in a Michigan State football game. In another, she asserts which sports media members need to delete their Twitter accounts (usually Darren Rovell).

Nolan’s late-night show vibe has shown that combining sports and comedy can work for television. She no doubt has made huge strides for woman in the sports world. The show works because of her personality and opinions.

Which leads me full circle back to ESPN and its most (only?) entertaining personality, Scott Van Pelt. SVP’s new midnight SportsCenter is in the same elk of the new media listed above. He talks gambling spreads on the show, humorously comments on sports highlights and, like Nolan and Barstool, is serious when he needs to be.

Sports are meant to entertain. I think coverage is moving in that direction with more personality-driven content.

You can yell and scream and clamor for the old way.

But you’re gonna get left behind.