Women’s basketball falters late to Lafayette College

Junior Courtney Latham dished out five assists and scored nine points against Lafayette. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In a matchup between two of the Patriot League’s bottom teams, the Boston University women’s basketball team narrowly missed out another win Saturday as it fell 71-64 to Lafayette College at Case Gym.

The Terriers (2-20, 2-9 Patriot League) were looking to add a second-straight victory following their buzzer-beating upset of the United States Naval Academy Thursday, courtesy of junior guard Sarah Hope’s bucket at the end of regulation.

Despite their lowly conference records, both BU and the Leopards (5-16, 3-8 Patriot League) came out shooting early. After each team traded baskets in the opening moments of the game, the Terriers came out top in the first quarter, shooting 53.8 percent from the floor while holding Lafayette to 37.5 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from 3-point range.

On her team’s 18-16 performance to open the game, BU head coach Katy Steding was impressed with how well-focused and communicative her team was on both sides of the floor.

“It felt like we were dialed in” Steding said. “Offensively, we had gone over some specific looks that we wanted to execute, and I felt our defense was, if not perfect, really engaged in trying. Sometimes we were successful in trying and sometimes we weren’t, but it felt like everyone was on the same page.”

In the second quarter, both teams started to slow down offensively, as it was tough for either squad to buy an easy bucket. The Leopards’ shooting percentage continued to drop to 30.8 percent from the field, while the Terriers dropped to 25 percent shooting overall.

Timely 3-point shooting, however, kept Lafayette from pulling away from BU. Behind 42.9 percent shooting from downtown, the Terriers went into halftime deadlocked with the Leopards at 30 apiece.

“I need to praise the offensive play of [junior forward Meghan Green] and Sarah,” Steding said. “They handled their business tonight on offense. I think we could’ve gotten even more out of them, especially if we were more aggressive on the inside, but Meg does such a solid job there. They’re both good shooters, and they continue to play consistently throughout the game, especially on offense.”

The dip in BU’s shooting didn’t carry over into the second half, as it found its rhythm once more. The Terriers converted on 46.2 percent of its shots in the third quarter, and, despite holding the Leopards to 30 percent shooting from the field, weren’t able to grab a lead. The two teams headed into the last quarter knotted at 50 apiece.

Similarly, Lafayette mounted a comeback through forward Ashley Lutz. The Sudbury native was quiet in the first half, scoring just two points and grabbing four rebounds.

However, that wasn’t the case in the second half. Lutz went off, scoring 21 points and grabbing seven rebounds. The Leopards were also paced by 57.1 percent shooting in the fourth quarter and two 3-pointers.

Coupled with junior Maia Hood’s double-double (15 points and 10 rebounds) and senior Jamie O’Hare’s game-high 10 assists, Lafayette found the right lineup in the game’s waning moments to pull off the comeback and complete its season-sweep of the Terriers.

“First of all, I think [Lafayette] found the right combination,” Steding said. “They were attacking us, especially straight up in the middle, where it was hard for our zone to make the adjustment. I don’t know if it should’ve been as hard as it was, but it was difficult for us to make a recovery.”