REVIEW: “Where to Invade Next” showcases solutions for America

Documentarian Michael Moore's true-life comedy "Where to Invade Next" was released Friday in Boston. PHOTO COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS
Documentarian Michael Moore’s true-life comedy “Where to Invade Next” was released Friday in Boston. PHOTO COURTESY CREATIVE COMMONS

“I’ve turned into this kind of crazy optimist” are words that we could never dream of attributing to documentarian Michael Moore.

Moore is synonymous with controversy, political activism and a harsh scolding. In very un-Michael Moore fashion, however, he presents us with solutions to problems in lieu of the horrors in our own backyards in his recent documentary, “Where to Invade Next.”

Growing tired of the domestic scandals, Moore seeks higher ground, both moral and terrestrial. This skittish invasion-turned-transatlantic-vacation takes us on the trip of a lifetime. Moore also visits a few non-European countries, such as Tunisia, for good measure.

Moore and his crew “invade,” cherry-picking Europe’s successful concepts and planting a U.S. flag in each country to symbolize the “stealing” of the ideas.

The film exposes a series of paradoxes. In Italy, eight weeks of paid vacation makes companies more profitable. In Finland, lack of homework has given them a highly acclaimed education system. In Norway, a relaxed prison system based on a foundation of rehabilitation has given them one of the lowest rates of repeat offenders, and so on and so forth.

Through this, Moore shows the audience that not only does reverse psychology work, but aggressive attacks on societal problems can make them worse.

It’s not to say that European countries are flawless. Moore said he is there to “pick the flowers, not the weeds.” He acts as the star of this film, wittily bantering away with his interviewees and giving them some good old-fashioned American humor.

The crux of the film resides in letting the interviews speak for themselves. His interviewees are fiercely proud of their countries’ success and are either gob-smacked or disgusted by our alleged failings in “human dignity.”

One of the more memorable interviews comes from a female journalist from Tunisia. Amel Smaoui makes a powerful statement about how America’s ignorance regarding the rest of the world is going to be our downfall. We can’t remain the best forever.

Moore has displayed his ex-patriotism before, but without having to leave the country. “Where to Invade Next” is his first film in six years, but his previous documentaries have been both popular and inflammatory.

For example, 2004’s “Fahrenheit 9/11” gives Moore’s unadulterated opinion on the Bush administration. Moore proposed that the Sept. 11 attacks were unfairly used to catalyze war in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he wasn’t afraid to tell it to the world.

“Fahrenheit 9/11” also just happens to be the highest-grossing documentary of all time in the United States. It’s safe to say the Bush family and Michael Moore don’t exchange Christmas cards.

None of “Where to Invade Next” is filmed in the United States, yet the film features humorous clips from American television that, placed just so, sarcastically prove that we’re not perfect. Real-life clips featuring disturbing police brutality in the United States placed throughout the film, on the other hand, show that we also have a real problem on our hands.

Many of the European interviewees also point out that the success stories in their countries are based on American ideas, leaving Moore and ourselves to wonder where we went wrong.

As Moore’s voice-over states, “You know it’s bad when the French pity you.”

The film also makes the point that most of these ideas are a result of higher taxes in Europe.

In the United States, we pay more overall. Here, we have taxes and proceed to make ourselves bankrupt for necessities like getting an education and staying alive. In Europe, it’s mostly included.

Who runs the world? Girls. In Iceland, all the women Moore spoke to claim that anything was possible for them. Iceland was the home of the first democratically elected female president, Vigdis Finnbogadóttir.

Between promoting female presidents and free college education, Moore inadvertently gives a shoutout to Democratic hopefuls Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.

Moore’s optimism comes from his view that change can happen. He remarks that the Berlin Wall was standing, and then suddenly, it wasn’t. Similarly, same-sex marriage was illegal nationwide, and as of last June, it’s the law of the land.

Moore inspires us to take these ideas from his film and to bring the seeds home to grow.

Where to Invade Next” is now playing in Boston theaters.

1. If he likes Europe so much, why does he live here?

2. He’s actually what a true Anerican is. People came from around the world to form the melting pot and brought ideas with them. It’s being able to look at something and admit it’s not working versus stupidly burying your head in the sand and in spite of facts doing it the same way. Strength comes from being open to changing tact. In sailing when the wind shifts and it’s not working, you change direction of the sails. You do it even if all the other boats do because it works. The faster you understand the wind is changing and adjust the more likely you win.