Softball, Sports

Softball readies for opening weekend, trip to Charleston

Sophomore Emma Wong was named to the Patriot League All-Conference Second Team last year. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

After spending much of the school year practicing indoors, the Boston University softball team will open the 2016 season this weekend in the Charleston Southern University Tournament.

The Terriers (0-0) will kick off the year with a set of double-headers as they matchup with Western Carolina University and Charleston Southern (3-0) Friday, then square off against Western Carolina (4-1) and North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University Saturday.

“We’re definitely going into every single game trying to win,” said BU first-year head coach Ashley Waters. “Over the course of the fall and the winter, we formulated our lineup and figured out who could handle what and who looks good where. So for us now, it’s more like putting them out there and getting their feet wet.”

After finishing last season with a 17-27 overall record and missing the Patriot League Tournament, the Terriers will look to start off on the right foot, as will their opponents. Western Carolina and the Aggies (4-1) are coming off of losing seasons, while Charleston Southern went 31-28 in 2015 and 2-2 in the Big South Softball Championship.

No matter what previous records say, Water understands that her team will have to play at a high level in order to leave the tournament victorious.

“We’re playing some great competition, but this is what you do,” Waters said. “You work the whole entire year for these moments, so the way that we see this is, it’s exciting, and we’re just going to jump out of the gate and be ready to go Friday. The kids have a lot to learn, and I think the next part of their development is this gameplay and just reacting and being instinctual. Hopefully we use this preseason to really develop to get ourselves in the best possible position for the Patriot League.”

Waters also said she is excited for her team to be able to play outdoors in South Carolina, as she has already held a team practice on the grass field in the Palmetto State.

“Obviously we’ve had some great practices inside,” Waters said. “However, there’s nothing like being with the real grass in the outfield. We actually had a practice [Thursday], and it was nice to get out there and take reps. It was just to get them to feel the ball and the dirt.”

As for her team, Waters noted a significant number of players who can provide leadership to a team with 13 underclassmen. A prime example is junior shortstop Brittany Younan, who batted .341 and stole 23 bases last season for the Terriers.

“She’s someone that has the leadership capabilities,” Waters said. “She knows the game, she’s incredibly athletic and I think she’s going to have a great year.”

BU also will rely on junior catcher Gabi Martinez, a member of the 2015 Patriot League All-Conference Second Team. Waters said that Martinez has been a positive leader from freshman backstop Alex Heinen, who will bat cleanup for the Terriers this weekend.

“Alex has really learned from Gabi this fall and also came in with a great skill set,” Waters said. “She is definitely going to play a huge component behind the plate, but also with her bat. She’ll bat fourth for us in the lineup and be a big power threat.”

With a fresh season set to begin, Waters knows that she can rely on her team’s leaders to guide BU to a successful season.

“The one thing I can say about our team is we have a lot of great personality and a lot of great leadership qualities,” Waters said. “I have great vocal leaders in [junior infielder] Moriah [Connolly], Brittany and Gabi, and we have some kids who are developing and they’re learning from that and becoming a little more vocal. I’m excited for the whole group, but those kids are kind of standing out right now and will definitely have a big mainstay and play a big role.”

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14