Gov. Charlie Baker commits to clean energy initiative

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker joined 17 fellow governors Tuesday to announce his involvement in the “Governors’ Accord for a New Energy Future” program. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, along with several governors from across the United States, committed Tuesday to a clean energy initiative, according to a Tuesday press release.

As part of the initiative, entitled the “Governors’ Accord for a New Energy Future,” governors from 17 states in the United States have agreed to implement new clean energy standards in their states, the release stated.

Baker said in the release that the accord will aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and strengthen the Massachusetts economy.

“The Governors’ Accord for a New Energy Future highlights the tremendous opportunities to create a shared clean, affordable and resilient energy future,” Baker said in the release. “Massachusetts will continue to lead the way on clean energy, energy efficiency and the adoption of innovative technologies such as energy storage.”

According to the press release, the Baker-Polito administration has been working for some time on various energy initiatives.

“The [Baker-Polito] Administration’s 2016-2018 energy efficiency plan, recently approved by the Department of Public Utilities, sets nation-leading savings levels for both electricity and gas and is estimated to achieve $8 billion in economic, environmental, and energy benefits,” the release stated. “The Administration also launched a $10 million Energy Storage Initiative to support the continued growth of renewable power generation.”

Katie Gronendyke, a spokesperson for Energy and Environmental Affairs, wrote in an email when these commitments may go into effect.

“Senior advisors to participating governors are expected to convene shortly to discuss initial steps to pursue their shared priorities and commitments,” Gronendyke wrote.

Rebeca Rosengaus, a professor at Northeastern University, said efforts made to move toward cleaner energy sources are important.

“There’s evidence that global warming exists because of human impacts to the environment,” Rosengaus said. “Due to the fact that we have lots of production of greenhouse gases, we are increasing the temperature of the environment.”

Human life even impacts the lives of sea animals, tampering with the entire ecosystem, she said.

“The pH of the water and the lakes and the sea is actually becoming more acidic,” Rosengaus said. “When the water becomes more acidic, all those animals that happen to have shells … start decomposing. That’s hugely important, because you’re reducing all these organisms that are the basis for the food web for all the bigger organisms that eat them … so that’s a huge problem.”

Several Boston residents shared their opinions on the impact of this clean energy accord on daily life in Boston.

Albert Berry, 36, of Back Bay, said he’s hopeful for the energy initiatives.

“I like Charlie Baker, but I’m all for cutting emissions and greenhouse gases and for clean energy,” he said. “If they think that they can get that done by [2020], then that’s fantastic.”

Peg LeGendre, 66, of West Roxbury, said she believes it is a good idea for the government to take control of green energy efforts.

“I think there are things that the government does need to do, and taking a coordinated approach … is important,” she said. “You can’t just leave it up to the private sector to do stuff in the public interests.”

Despite the recent Supreme Court block of President Obama’s proposed climate change laws, Civia Rosenberg, 77, of Back Bay, said he is optimistic about the initiative.

“I was reading about Supreme Court where Scalia was against the energy bill, cutting down Obama,” Rosenburg said. “We definitely need energy laws and better rules and regulations to improve the environment.”

Carolyn Hoffman contributed to the reporting of this article.