City of Boston plans to tear down Northern Avenue Bridge

After a Coast Guard request was made in October 2015, the City of Boston announced Feb. 16 they have plans to demolish the historic Northern Avenue Bridge due to safety concerns. PHOTO BY JACQUI BUSICK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The City of Boston announced plans to take down Northern Avenue Bridge due to the structure’s deterioration and a concern that it could collapse into the water, according to a United States Army Corps of Engineers public notice. The city is asking for the community’s input until March 1, according to the public notice.

Following months of planning, the city has submitted a permit application to the ACE and offered to take the bridge apart and transfer the pieces to a storage yard in East Boston, according to the public notice.

Tim Dugan, spokesperson for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, said the ACE will evaluate the permit application after national, state and local agencies review the public notice.

“March 1 is the cutout date for the public, so after that, we’ll probably have a better idea if there are issues or concerns from the general public and the various agencies involved,” Dugan said. “The federal, state and local agencies such as [U.S. Environmental Protection Agency], U.S. Fish and Wildlife [Service], National Marine Fisheries and U.S. Coast Guard will look at the public notice and let us know if they have any issues or concerns, and then we’ll continue the process.”

The bridge’s deconstruction has been designed to minimize any negative impact on city residents, the public notice stated. The issuance of the permit will be decided on public opinion and “concern for both protection and utilization of important resources.”

According to the public notice, factors that are being taken into consideration for the approval of the permit include the bridge’s effects on the environment, conservation, safety, finances and overall welfare of the people.

Laura Oggeri, spokesperson for the City of Boston, wrote in an email that the City of Boston plans to further refurbish local infrastructure for the safety and convenience of residents.

“As part of ongoing efforts to benefit the Seaport District and nearby area for all residents and businesses, the city will continue with its plan to invest up to $100 million for local improvements, including the city’s existing commitment to rebuild the Northern Avenue Bridge to include pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle traffic,” Oggeri wrote.

The deconstruction process alone, which involves separating the bridge into three different spans, could take up to three months, with an estimated cost of $15 million. A proposed temporary ramp and trestle system would be constructed to replace the bridge.

Donald Symington, owner of Boston Harbor Boat Rentals, said the bridge’s teardown and eventual renovation are both positive actions.

“[The bridge is] a landmark and an architectural treasure at Fort Point Channel, so I think the renovation is fantastic,” Symington said. “It shows the good the government can do. I think whatever construction is required to restore the bridge will be kept to a minimum from those doing the work … I don’t think this will be too much more of an inconvenience.”

While some residents said they thought the bridge needed to be renovated, others worried about the consequences of the construction.

Ann Finnerty, 59, of Jamaica Plain, said she hopes the project will assist those living in the Harbor area and the tourists alike.

“It’s a wonderful connection between [the] South Boston waterfront and Downtown Boston,” she said. “I hope that they renovate it to at least accommodate walking and biking, and that it would be economical and serve the conflicting interests of residents and tourists.”

Maria Fredericks, 48, of Jamaica Plain, said she is worried about the effects the construction will have on local businesses.

“The bridge is critical for convenient pedestrian access to many local restaurants,” she said. “Pedestrians would find another restaurant or bar to frequent if it is more convenient to them. Construction noise will impact business for these restaurants while the bridge [is being] rebuilt, but it should be worth it when complete.”

Megan McInnis, 23, of Fenway, expressed the importance of having stable bridges for residents to commute.

“I would say, depending on what’s on the other side,” she said, “it’s definitely necessary to have bridges for people to get from places.”