Citywide Analytics Team releases Year-In-Review

The Citywide Analytics Team made their first annual Year-In-Review public Thursday, proving that data from case studies leads to positive change in government operations. PHOTO BY RACHEL MCLEAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh announced Thursday that Boston’s Citywide Analytics Team has released its first Year-In-Review of 2015 and has begun a search for a chief data officer to serve as the face of the team.

According to a Thursday press release, the Year-In-Review of 2015 is meant to highlight how data and technology-based programs affected the City of Boston as well as its residents.

Walsh said in the release that the Citywide Analytics Team is a vital component in the government’s delivery of services to city residents.

“The citywide analytics team is an invaluable asset that allows us to hold ourselves to the highest standards to ensure that we are delivering excellent city services to the people of Boston,” Walsh said in the release. “I am excited to expand the team to include a Chief Digital Officer, who will oversee the city’s efforts to incorporate data into operations throughout the city and I look forward to working closely together to make our city safer and smarter.”

The Citywide Analytics Team focuses its work in the four areas of performance and process management, pilots and product development, data visual and dashboards and open data and public engagement, according to team’s Year-In-Review. The team works with 14 cabinets of staff to create “both immediate and potential long-term performance and process improvements,” according to the Year-in-Review.

Throughout 2015, the Citywide Analytics Team established benefits for the city, such as the utilization of dashboards to measure the impact city services have on residents and the launch of CityScore. CityScore is a city initiative that will allow officials to track and improve the City of Boston’s performance in everyday life, The Daily Free Press reported on Jan. 20.

Chris Dwelley, the co-lead and performance manager of the Citywide Analytics Team, said one of the team’s greatest accomplishments was the CityScore application.

“[Citywide Analytics’] goal is to execute those projects but continue to provide services and assistance and be a resource for folks here in the city as well as to continue to work towards the mayor’s overarching goal of using data and technology to really ensure that we are delivering the highest quality of services to the residents of Boston,” Dwelley said.

Dwelley said the analytics team had an effective year in 2015, and the team was able to share a large amount of content with residents.

“The analytics team has had a really strong year, and that includes being able to put out as well as produce a lot of content and projects for the city here,” Dwelley said. “It’s been another fantastic opportunity for us to just share with the public some of the other projects that typically aren’t included in the press.”

According to the Year-In-Review, a top priority of the Citywide Analytics Team for 2016 is to provide city leadership “with data where and when they need it.” The team will work to provide dashboards on portable, smart technology as well as on visible screens on city buildings, according to the Year-In-Review.

Other 2016 plans for the Citywide Analytics Team include predicting health violations, making sense of finances, unearthing zoning codes, fighting addiction, engaging with residents and equipping city staff with mobile digital tools, according to the Year-In-Review.

Several residents were pleased to hear about the progress the Citywide Analytics Team has made.

Dmitriy Michnikov, 38, of Brighton, expressed excitement that the city has made so much information available to the public.

“It sounds like a good idea,” he said. “The more information that is out there and available to residents, the better. So what[ever] organization provides it … It’s all good for residents.”

Ashley Arbuckle, 24, of Jamaica Plain, said Boston needs to keep the residents informed on the status of the city.

“Getting in touch with the people who are commuting on a daily basis is important,” she said. “That’s how you stay accountable. They only give us so much knowledge, and we could use more about when things are coming.”

James Watt, 35, of Brighton, said CityScore would be effective as long as people are monitoring the system.

“I would say so, as long as somebody is paying attention to it,” he said. “There are a lot of social media outlets talking about [the city’s performance].”