Business & Tech, Features

Planet Records gravitates toward universal music experience

Planet Records store clerk Michael Boudreau, of Watertown, organizes vintage vinyl records Wednesday afternoon. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

One may wander into Planet Records just to browse its extensive selection of vinyls and CDs, but owner John Damroth promises that whether you’re an “old man from Russia or a young kid from Newark,” there is always a new discovery to be excited about.

“Almost every day, we have somebody come in here that finds a record and [is] freaking out about it,” Damroth said. “It’s actually a wonderful thing to see. These days, people are thanking us for staying in business because I think they know, ultimately, how hard it is. But that music connection is the thing, and we try to keep that fire burning so the customers that we have can share in that.”

Planet Records has kept that fire burning for 33 years, even after surviving a fire of its own. After losing everything, Damroth rebuilt his business at a Harvard Square annex before settling into the current storefront on Cambridge’s Mount Auburn Street.

Damroth said Planet Records prides itself on two key components: quality and price.

“Back in 1983 … there were other used record stores around, but you were never quite sure of what you were getting, and we were very careful about the condition of the stuff we sold,” he said. “Back when the record industry was thriving, they had a lot of overstock. So, we sold new, sealed records for $3.99, and there were a lot of excited people about that.”

A customer shops for used CDs at Planet Records near Harvard Square. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

At Planet Records, one can find genres ranging from jazz and classical to rock and blues, which, at the time of the store’s conception in 1983, was very unusual, Damroth said. Today, the store still offers a wide variety but has trouble keeping classic rock on the shelves.

“If we get any kind of classic rock LP — The Beatles, Pink Floyd, anything like that — it will be gone pretty much within hours of putting it out,” Damroth said. “And that’s not always true with a really cool jazz record or classical record.”

Originally a record store, Planet Records’ selection of music formats has expanded over the past several years to accommodate the changing tastes of consumers.

“Six years ago or so, LPs started coming back, and they came back strong,” Damroth said. “I would say they are back up to 50 percent of our sales. It’s sort of exciting because I love records and they mean something to me, so it’s nice to have that validated by the rest of the world.”

Growing up, Damroth found his enthusiasm for music through his discovery of his older brothers’ rock records.

“Although I was not allowed to touch [their records], I would touch them,” he said. “I found out about some rock. Initially, it was people like the Beach Boys … As tastes evolved, it became The Beatles and The Who, and I just developed a real love for rock ‘n’ roll and built up my own collection.”

Damroth’s love for music followed him through college as he shared his musical tastes and discoveries with his friends. He and his friends would stay up late into the night, listening to and deconstructing the music of their favorite artists.

Planet Records offers new and vintage vinyl records, CDs and DVDs. PHOTO BY LEXI PLINE/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

As a record storeowner, Damroth said he is able to revert back to his college days by sitting back and enjoying the music.

“I get to sit around all day and listen to whatever comes in front of me,” he said. “That can be a classical record or a rock record. There’s so much out there. It keeps it different and fun from day to day.”

But the music that crosses Planet Records’ path is only a microcosm of what record stores offer for avid music seekers and listeners, and Damroth wants to make sure his customers are aware of what the rest of the Boston area has to offer.

“We have a sheet that we give out at the front counter of all the stores that are still around in Cambridge and Boston, because we know that you can find cool stuff anywhere,” he said. “For us, it’s about sharing all of that stuff and helping people out who need to build their collections … We have a good heart, I like to say, and we try to promote [the music].”

Above all, it is clear Damroth has a passion for sharing music with others and understands the personal connection listeners create with it.

“People love music,” he said. “There’s a connection from their ear to their heart, it seems in many cases.”