Baker-Polito Administration announces $9.3 million in capital grants

The Baker-Polito Administration announced $9.3 million in grants Thursday to further practical job training in Massachusetts high schools, community colleges and training centers. PHOTO BY MIKE DESOCIO/DFP FILE PHOTO

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker and Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito announced Thursday a $9.3 million capital grant of workforce equipment to high schools, community colleges and training services throughout the commonwealth. The Baker-Polito Administration aims to bridge the gap between the skilled labor force and available jobs on the market, according to a Thursday press release.

According to the release, the grant will provide students and residents with targeted resources to develop academically and build the necessary skills to find employment opportunities in the manufacturing sector. The aid will allow businesses to stimulate the economy and hire qualified and capable workers to fill jobs that would otherwise be empty.

In the release, Baker expressed just how important a program like this is for the community.

“Workforce skills education and training plays an enormous role in economic and personal development by helping residents acquire the skills they need to connect with promising careers,” Baker said in the release. “These vocational-technical education equipment grants will help build stronger communities and a more competitive business environment that ensures more residents have the skills they need to succeed.”

Paul McMorrow, a spokesperson for the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development, wrote in an email that the grant would help residents propel the economy of the commonwealth forward.

“That strategy only works if Massachusetts manufacturers have a highly trained workforce capable of executing highly advanced manufacturing processes,” McMorrow wrote in the email. “That’s what these grants are all about: equipping Massachusetts residents with the skills they need to drive the [commonwealth]’s economy forward.”

According to the release, Baker has filed a legislation request for an additional $75 million to further expand this initiative in equipment grants as a commitment to continue to enhance the workforce’s skills and maintain a high level of opportunity and innovation in Massachusetts.

John Lafleche is the superintendent of the Southern Worcester County Regional Vocational School District. He said Bay Path Regional Vocational Technical High School, a grant recipient in the district, is enthusiastic about the potential the grant offers the community.

“There are many high-quality, well-paying jobs available at the many manufacturers located in Southern Worcester County,” Lafleche said, “and Bay Path is committed to providing industry-approved training to high school students and adults so they can excel in a solid middle-class career in the local area.”

Jay Zagorsky, a professor at Boston University, wrote in an email that the grant program will increase worker innovation.

“This [initiative] makes the state more attractive to businesses,” Zagorsky wrote. “It ensures there are more well-paid workers in the state and the state gets some of the money spent back in taxes. By training people on the latest equipment, some of the people who are trained can become innovators and help ensure Massachusetts continues to be a leader in designing and creating new products and companies.”

Fred Bayles, also a professor at BU, said the grant will help continue diversifying the commonwealth’s workforce.

“It’s the idea of trying to diversify your workforce,” Bayles said. “Massachusetts has a highly educated population in terms of college degrees, but that doesn’t necessarily get you the workers you need to work in high-tech manufacturing or biotech manufacturing.”

Although the grant program has been met with support and enthusiasm, several residents expressed reservations about shrinking the gap between the skilled workforce and available jobs.

Jose Ponce, 60, of Back Bay, said the grant program could give too much aid to struggling schools without reason.

“The principle is good, [but] my concern is that it’s not industry specific,” he said. “It doesn’t put the money in specific skills that the industry needs and will guarantee these people to get jobs afterwards. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money. It just gives the schools a little too much leeway to choose where to put the money.”

Don Amico, 37, of Dorchester, said he believes the grant program will positively affect the economy.

“I think this initiative is great and will help stimulate the economy,” he said.

Madeline Abrams, 32, of Allston, said it’s beneficial for these schools to have extra money on hand.

“This will be really good,” she said. “Those schools need that money, and it’s good the governor knows that.”