Men’s basketball lacks aggressiveness in tough loss to American

Eric Fanning scored a team-high 18 points against American. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

There were several keys to the Boston University men’s basketball team’s Patriot League quarterfinal game against American University Thursday night at Case Gym.

Playing against an Eagles (12-18, 9-9 Patriot League) team that ranked second in the conference in both scoring defense and rebounding defense, it was vital for the Terriers (18-14, 11-7 Patriot League) to attack on offense in order to advance in the league tournament.

Once the game got underway, however, BU appeared unassertive on offense, often hesitating to drive to the lane and work down low on American’s big men. Although they became more active as the game went on, they were unable to overcome a weak first half in a 69-64 loss.

It was a tough first half for the Terriers, as American outrebounded BU 16-11 and pulled down five offensive boards. Junior guard Eric Fanning, often known for his aggressive drives to the rim, went 1-of-4 from the field and committed two turnovers.

“We were on our heels,” said BU head coach Joe Jones. “I just didn’t think we went after the game. I blame myself for not having my guys ready to capture the moment. We waited and hoped that things would work out. We didn’t go after it. That’s on me. I have to make sure these guys understand that we have to go after the game.”

To determine how aggressive the Terriers were on offense at the start of the game, one just has to look at the team’s free throw numbers in the first half. BU failed to get to the charity stripe in the opening period, illustrating its tentative nature.

The Terriers did not record a free throw shot until there was 16:20 remaining in the second half. To make matters worse, BU shot only 45 percent from the line in the period. In a game where the Terriers’ 3-point shooting was off, it was crucial for the team to make its trips to the line count, and it failed in that area Wednesday night.

“That just goes to show you that we were very passive,” a distraught Jones said. “That’s just not us. We have to give them credit. They beat us, but that’s just not us. In a game like this, it’s hard to win. I thought it was more just that we didn’t go after it enough. That’s the thing that’s going to eat at you forever.”

The Terriers would eventually regain their aggressive edge, however. Fanning went 5-of-9 from the field in the second half, displaying the tenacity that should make him a top Patriot League player next season.

Most notably, with BU down 10 points and the game beginning to slip away, Fanning surged along the baseline and slammed home a dunk over an Eagle, earning the foul call and energizing the crowd.

When it was all said and done, Fanning scored seven points in a 45-second span in the second half, giving Case Gym life and pulling BU within three points of American. The outburst was not enough, however, as the Eagles responded with a run of their own, ultimately putting the game out of reach.

With his team missing free throws and lacking aggressiveness on both sides of the ball, Jones looked back wishing he energized his team more early on in the game.

“I need to do a better job,” Jones said, “My team should not come out flat and shouldn’t come out passive without the sense of urgency that it takes to win. It’s not that they didn’t want to win, we just need to be able to understand how we need to go out and get this done. That’s on me. I have to do a better job.”

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14

1. Disappointing. Joe Jones always makes excuses for why his teams consistently underperform in big pressure situations. He is right, it is on him as the coach. Pat Chambers was the best coach BU has had in a decade and with the stellar recruits he left Jones with (DJ Irving, Maurice Watson, Dom Morris, John Papale), Jones still managed to lose the 2014 Patriot League title game to American at home in demoralizing fashion. While Jones is a good “X&O” coach, he seems to struggle keeping his players inspired.