Softball, Sports

Softball readies for home opener vs. Providence College

Lauren Hynes was recently named the Patriot League Pitcher of the Week. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

It took 19 games, four tournaments and multiple plane trips, but the Boston University softball team is back home.

For the first time this season, BU (8-11) will play a game on campus, taking on Providence College Wednesday at 4 p.m.

They might be trading the warm days in California for partly cloudy, mid-50s weather in Boston, but the Terriers are more than excited to get things started at their home opener.

“The girls are thrilled,” said BU head coach Ashley Waters. “It’s obviously nice to be in Boston. Traveling has its wear and tear, although the weather is nice. It’s cool to play on your home field that you practice on and spend so much time on.”

BU, after dropping five of eight games between the Florida Atlantic University Invitational and the San Diego Classic, closed out its spring break in style, rattling off four consecutive victories at the Mizuno Invitational. Strong pitching led the way for the Terriers, with the staff allowing only four runs in just as many games.

Particularly impressive in the circle was the work of senior Lauren Hynes. At the Mizuno Invitational, Hynes threw 16.1 innings and was charged for just one run. She finished with a perfect 3-0 record in her three outings, including a six-inning relief appearance against Yale University in which she did not allow a run.

Her performances in those three games, combined with her strong pitching in San Diego, were enough to earn her the nod of Patriot League Pitcher of the Week, her first weekly conference award of any kind.

Now with a team-best six wins and a 2.20 ERA, Hynes has provided stability in the rotation, which in part has earned her the start for Wednesday.

“She’s just so consistent,” Waters said. “I mean, she’s a kid that legitimately just comes in and hits her spots and does her job. The defense really steps up behind her … But she’s definitely been kind of the mainstay for us and has really solidified herself in that spot. And we’re going to utilize her as much as we can.”

Though pitching played a major role in the success the Terriers had over their last four-game stretch, the offense came through with timely hits as well. In the final weekend against Yale (2-7) and Southern Utah University, six players each collected two hits.

For the year, BU now has five players with a batting average of .280 or better. Three players — junior shortstop Brittany Younan, junior left fielder Moriah Connolly and freshman second baseman Emily Morrow — are all hitting above a .330 clip.

The offense has come together over the last few games, giving the team more balance up and down the lineup, Waters said.

“I think the top of the order does a really great job of kind of getting on and setting a tone right from the get-go,” Waters said. “But the middle to end of the lineup has really come through in some big RBI situations.”

On the other side, Providence (10-10) has won four of its last six games, most recently taking a 9-1 win over Saint Peter’s University on March 12. Senior Kiki Baldassari provided much of the offense in the Friars’ latest victory, finishing 4-for-4 with two RBIs.

Baldassari, a First Team All-BIG EAST selection two years ago, is now hitting .397, only second to freshman Emma Lee (.418). But those two are far from the only ones who have done damage at the plate, as the Friars have collectively hit .283 with a .357 on-base percentage.

Pitching-wise, Providence has gotten contributions namely from junior Taylor Huntly and freshman Megan McCune. While Huntly has gotten a majority of time in the circle (48 innings), McCune leads the team with a 1.55 ERA, which is second in the Big East.

Taking everything into account, Waters said she expects to see a Providence team that is not all that different from her own — one that can do many things to win games.

“They’re very similar in terms of the way their program is run,” Waters said. “They have some speed, they have some power. Definitely, I think it’s going to be an even matchup … Providence is going to swing. They’re going to play the game hard, so I think it’s going to be a great game.”

Andrew is one of the men's hockey beat writers for The Daily Free Press. He was Sports Editor during the Spring 2014 semester and has also interned with NESN, WEEI.com and SportsNet New York. Follow him on Twitter at @squidthoughts for sports-related tweets and random quotes from "The Office," or you can contact him via email at arbattif@bu.edu.