Lacrosse, Sports

20 questions with BU lacrosse defenseman Quintin Germain

Quintin Germain has seamlessly stepped into BU's lineup since he arrived on campus. PHOTO BY AMANDA LUCIDI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Quintin Germain has seamlessly stepped into BU’s lineup since he arrived on campus. PHOTO BY AMANDA LUCIDI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The buzzword surrounding the No. 20 Boston University men’s lacrosse team’s rise is “maturity,” but a key piece is still relatively new to college lacrosse.

Freshman defenseman Quintin Germain has started every game of BU’s (8-2, 3-1 Patriot League) 2016 season and is a major reason why the team allows only 8.6 goals a game. The Huntington, New York native has eight ground balls and six caused turnovers to his name, but his contributions often extend beyond the stat sheet.

BU head coach Ryan Polley recently lauded Germain’s lacrosse IQ and instincts, suggesting he’ll be a facet for years to come. In the here and now, Germain appears to be indispensable, and The Daily Free Press has what you need to know about the freshman sensation.

1.) What have the first months as a Terrier been like?

It’s really been great so far. All the guys became close right away, and that’s showing itself on the field with our results.

2.) Did you expect to come in and play such a major role right from the get-go?

I didn’t expect this at all. I’ve just been working hard and hoping to play, and I know freshmen usually don’t get as much playing time. I had a feeling we’d have a good season since the past two years the team’s been getting better and better, and I’m just happy to play a role in the wins.

3.) What’s your favorite moment of the year so far?

Probably beating [then-No. 16 United States Naval Academy] 10-9 in double OT. It was a great feeling having all the hard work we did during practice pay off that Saturday.

4.) Who’s the toughest player you’ve had to match up against this season?

The hardest guy was probably Jack Ray from Navy, because he was huge. He was 6-foot-6, 270 pounds and just a big guy. At first it was kind of nerve-wracking knowing I have to go against a guy so much bigger than me, but during the game I got an adrenaline rush, so it was fine. Didn’t really worry about it and just played my game. I knew my team would help me.

5.) Who’s the toughest team you guys have played so far in the Patriot League?

The toughest team we played? Probably Navy, at the moment. They just love to win and have that mentality that makes them great competitors. 

6.) Who’s the most underrated player on BU?

I’ve got to think about that for a second. Probably [junior longstick midfielder] Henry Lee. He’s one of the hardest workers on the team, he’s a great player, honestly, and I think he’s done a really great job this year. He’s a big reason why we’re doing well.

7.) Who’s the most skilled player on BU?

The most skilled is probably [junior midfielder] Cal Dearth. He can shoot the ball, pass the ball, he’s good under pressure and one of the best players on the team too.

8.) Who’s the biggest jokester or prankster on the team?

Definitely one of my good friends, [freshman midfielder] Jack Seminara. He’s hilarious and making fun of everyone. Always having a good time, but still is a hard worker. He’s a jokester, for sure.

9.) What’s one thing about Coach Polley people outside of the team don’t know about?

I don’t know, really. That’s a tough question. I’d have to think about that for a while. I like his coaching style, and he’s very enthusiastic and brings the energy to practice that gets us pumped up.

10.) What’s one thing outside of lacrosse that you’re into?

I don’t really have a hobby at the moment, but I just like hanging out with my friends. That’s all I do. Hanging out with my roommate [and freshman midfielder Michael] Laviano, guys on the team and getting close with them.

11.) Who’s your favorite athlete from any sport?

At the moment, probably Steph Curry. He just looks like he’s having a good time when he’s playing basketball. He’s loose and free and doesn’t stress out about things.

12.) What’s your favorite professional sports team?

The New York Giants. My dad is a big Giants fan and a big football guy, so we’d watch them on TV together.

13.) What’s one song or artist you’ve been listening to a lot lately?

I listen to The Killers a lot. They have good stuff. Sometimes for pregame, I’ll put on some of their songs just to relax.

14.) What’s your favorite show to binge-watch on Netflix?

Definitely “Entourage” on HBO. I like the plot, I like the characters, I like how they’re a big group of friends who are all there for each other.

15.) Who’s your biggest celebrity crush?

Oh, boy. I’d have to go with Jennifer Aniston back when she was on “Friends.” No question about it.

16.) If you could have dinner with any person dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Probably my grandpa who I never got to meet — my mom’s dad. She says how much of a great guy he was. I’d just want to get to know him a little better, since I’ve heard about what he was like when my mom was a child.

17.) What’s your favorite place to eat on or off campus?

Definitely T Anthony’s. I go with a chicken parm dinner with ravioli.

18.) What’s the one place in the world you want to visit?

I’d have to say California. My cousin is out there right now, and he says it’s a lot of fun. Just go out to the warm weather and escape the cold a little bit.

19.) Who has the best celebration on the team?

The best celebration? I don’t know, I don’t really pay attention too much when they celebrate. Actually no, I got one. [Sophomore attack] Jack Wilson. He pretends like he’s shooting an arrow sometimes.

20.) Is the sky the limit for BU this year? That is, how far can this team go?

Our goal is to win the Patriot League Tournament. That’s what we’re aiming for, that’s what we’ve been talking about all year. We’re feeling great about those prospects, and it’s something we can achieve if we keep working hard the way we’ve been doing.

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.

1. Awesome Gentleman…love The “Q”

2. Great Answers! I’m so proud of you! Love you Quintin, Aunt Gerri

3. Proud of you pal!! Your a great TEAM player.
    Glad to see you get the recognition you deserve!