Lacrosse, Sports

Jill Horka claims women’s lacrosse record in loss to Lehigh

Jill Horka has played an increased role in each of her four years as a Terrier. PHOTO ABIGAIL FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The result didn’t go the Boston University women’s lacrosse team’s way Saturday afternoon against Lehigh University, but a silver lining emerged nonetheless.

Senior midfielder Jill Horka snagged the 192nd draw control of her career in the Terriers’ (5-6, 3-2 Patriot League) 8-7 loss to Lehigh (8-2, 3-1 Patriot League), surpassing program great Sarah Dalton for the BU record.

The Westborough native didn’t own the record until 18:24 remained in the second half and admitted that some nervous energy built up before then. Nonetheless, Horka’s name is now etched in the BU history books alongside her other record of 68 draw controls in one season.

“Jill’s been a great player and she’s continued to get better and better every year,” said BU head coach Liz Robertshaw. “Getting the draw control record, she broke Sarah Dalton, who this year will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. So she’s breaking the record of someone who’s one of the best players to ever play here.”

Horka finished the contest with two ground balls and couldn’t best Lehigh goalkeeper Taylor Tvedt, but she made her biggest contribution in terms of gaining possession. That’s something she’s historically done while on Commonwealth Avenue, as she tallied 31 draw controls her freshman year, 46 during her sophomore season and 68 last year.

The conference has recognized that growth too, once naming Horka to the All-Rookie Team and twice placing her on the All-Patriot League First Team. While Horka has tormented conference foes for the better part of three and a half years, Lehigh’s head coach praised her importance.

“I think she’s a really tough player and a very good competitor,” said Lehigh head coach Jill Redfern. “I think her greatest contribution to her team is her ability to get possession off the draw, so she does a great job for them.”

Jill Horka now holds two BU draw control records. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

Horka noted that her mark couldn’t have been achieved without her classmates and fellow midfielders. Specifically, Ally Adams and Remy Nolan, who have been indispensable across Horka’s 64 career games and 84 career points.

“Sarah Dalton is an amazing player,” Horka said. “She was the one who used to hold the record, but I couldn’t have done it without my other middies, especially Ally and Remy. Especially coming in from last year, which was my career high initially for draw controls, but it also has to do with them boxing out on the circle. Without them getting other girls out of there, I wouldn’t have been able to win them.”

Horka also said she’d rather see the team win every game than see individual accomplishments pile up. She added that she’s excited for what’s in store as postseason play nears.

“The senior class, they’re my best friends,” Horka said. “We’ve been through everything together since freshman year, so I think it’s awesome that it’s finally our team and we have control over everything. I think we’ve all come together really well to lead this team hopefully to a Patriot League championship and the NCAAs. We have a very clear focus, and I think that’s awesome for all seven of us.”

Before Horka and her classmates get to that point, Robertshaw said she wants them to stay focused on the here and now. Five regular-season games remain, so Horka will have ample chances to extend her recently claimed record even further.

“[Horka has] grown, and we still have a good handful of games in season left to play,” Robertshaw said, “so I’m excited for her to set a new record for herself.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.