Lacrosse, Sports

20 Questions with BU lacrosse defender Charlotte Castronovo

Charlotte Castronovo has quietly helped lead BU's defensive corps. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Charlotte Castronovo has quietly helped lead BU’s defensive corps. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Much talk surrounding the Boston University women’s lacrosse team relates to its attacking prowess, but another face has arguably been just as important.

Led by junior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan and defenders in senior Sofia Robins, juniors Janelle Macone and Charlotte Castronovo and sophomore Maria Guerra, the Terriers (5-6, 3-2 Patriot League) have limited opponents to 10.73 goals per game.

While just one facet, Castronovo has been indispensable in her third collegiate season. The Garden City, New York native has 11 ground balls and eight caused turnovers to her name, but that’s not all she brings to the scarlet and white.

To get a sense of Castronovo’s presence, The Daily Free Press caught up about a slew of topics on and off the field.

1. To start off, how’s your junior season been going?

Now being a junior, I think this is one of our best years yet that I’ve been here. Even though we had some ups and downs in the beginning of the season, we had some really close games and really learned from them and finally had a great win against Vanderbilt [University]. We were super excited about that, and now we’re rebounding from a few tough losses in the Patriot League and trying to finish strong so we can get into the tournament and hopefully win.

2. Your defensive unit has been pretty strong at times this year. What’s been the key to that success?

We had a great first half on defense, only allowing one goal, and I think that’s attributed to our leaders on defense. Whether it’s Janelle Macone or Sofia Robins with Caroline in cage, it’s so great. We have her back and she has ours, too. We’re learning from things and have had pretty good practices, so we’re excited to get back into the Patriot League this weekend and next week against [the United States Naval Academy] too.

3. With five games left on the year, what’s the attitude and approach like?

One of our biggest goals for this season overall is sticking to having that “practice is our toughest game” mentality. When we go into a practice … the attack and defense are competing the whole time because that sets us up for success each week. Going into these next games, we’re totally capable of beating all these teams, and we have the mentality … that we can win and have a strong end of the season.

4. What’s your favorite BU lacrosse memory so far?

One would be my freshman year when we beat Navy in their home stadium. Although I wasn’t playing so much, it was a great atmosphere and we dominated them. It was a great game on their home turf, and I’m looking forward to doing that next week against Navy.

I think this year, it’s our Vanderbilt game after having a loss against them last year. Really coming back and fighting the whole 60 minutes. I’ve never felt anyone fight harder for the whole game, and that’s really a positive experience for us.

5.) Who’s the funniest girl on the team and why?

I think it’d probably have to be [defender] Maddie Curley, a sophomore on our team. Every time I hear something come out of her mouth, I think it’s hysterical no matter what it is. She gets everyone pumped up … She has one funny dance move she does before every game, and it really gives off positive energy for everybody.

6.) It’s funny you mention the dancing part. Who’s the best dancer on the team?

I know Maria Guerra is definitely the best dancer. I’m trying to think of the worst. Maria kind of comes out of left field with really intense hip-hop moves and they’re really choreographed. They’re always funny.

7.) If you were stuck on an island and could only bring one teammate with you, who would it be and why?

I would bring my teammate [junior defender] Ellie McKinnon because we know each other well enough to know when to have a good time and also know when to give each other space. When on an island, you want someone there to talk to and have fun with, and then there’s that time away from each other.

8.) What’s your favorite childhood TV show and why?

I loved “Franklin.” It was from a long time ago, probably when I was five and six. It’s a turtle that gives lessons at the beginning and at the end, it follows up with it. It was cute.

The Terriers have five games remaining in their 2016 regular season. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

9.) What’s your favorite holiday to celebrate and why?

I really like Valentine’s Day no matter if I have a Valentine or not. My mom is a big fan of Valentine’s Day. We always get a little card and goodie bag even though it’s kind of an underrated holiday. It’s a different take on it.

10. What’s your go-to study spot on or off campus?

I like to study at [33 Harry Agganis Way] at the tables because I do like to focus and be silent, but sometimes if I have someone across from me to ask questions or just get my mind off studying for a while, it’s helpful.

11. What’s one spot you grab dinner at in Boston?

I love Yard House down in Fenway. I go there with friends or family as well. It’s American-style food, and I always get a burger.

12. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?

I would want to fly to get places quicker. I think about being invisible, and maybe that could be creepy.

13. What’s the best and worst class you’ve taken at BU?

I’m a math person and a finance person, so I liked my SE 101 class. It’s the basic first course you’ll take in finance and got me started on wanting to do finance. I knew I always liked numbers, but being in Questrom, that really put me on the right path to what I wanted to do.

Let me think about worst. I took an archaeology class and it was not very entertaining at all.

14. Who’s the best artists or band you’ve in concert and why?

I would say Beyoncé and Jay Z. I went to that two summers ago, and that was the best performance I’ve ever seen. I’m definitely trying to go to the Justin Bieber concert in May at TD Garden too.

15. What’s one show you either binge watch on Netflix or a guilty pleasure show?

I watched “Dance Moms” on Netflix for a while and then I finished all the episodes, so I couldn’t watch any more. It’s definitely a guilty pleasure.

16. If you could have any animal as a pet, what would it be?

I’ve always wanted a turtle. They’re just my favorite animal, and I see them on the street sometimes. One of my friends almost took one on the sidewalk and was going to keep it for me. I don’t know exactly why, but they seem pretty low-key, and it would just hang around.

17. Who’s your celebrity crush?

I would say Ryan Reynolds from “The Proposal” era.

18. If you could have one person play you in a movie about your life, who would it be?

The one in “Friday Night Lights,” if I were older. Connie Britton, I think. I’m not that age, obviously, but I’d want her to play me in the future.

19. What’s one place in the world you’ve always wanted to visit?

I’ve always wanted to go to Italy. I’ve actually never been to Europe, but although people may not think I am, I’m 50 percent Italian. You can’t tell by my looks, but I’ve always wanted to go for the sights and food especially.

20. What’s the potential of your team? That is, how far do you guys think you’ll go this year?

I think the biggest thing for us is connecting with each other and playing for each other the whole time. That is where we’ll find our most success. When we’re on the same page working well together, finding rhythm with our teammates and connecting, that’s when we’re playing our best game. As long as we’re always doing that and always competing with each other and fighting through the first half and the second half, that’s where we’re going to find success.

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.