Lacrosse, Sports

Mickenzie Larivee leading women’s lacrosse in goals scored

The Terriers have five games remaining in their 2016 regular season. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After scoring two goals in Saturday’s 8-7 loss to Lehigh University, sophomore attack Mickenzie Larivee of the Boston University women’s lacrosse team has cemented herself as the team’s top scoring option so far.

Larivee, who scored 11 goals and picked up four ground balls during her freshman season, has doubled both of those numbers already this season. Along with increased scoring, Larivee has doubled her caused turnovers with six this season compared to three during her freshman year.

BU (5-6, 3-2 Patriot League) head coach Liz Robertshaw said she’s pleased with Larivee’s growth in 2016.

“I think she’s having a pretty good year,” Robertshaw said. “There have been games where she has really stood out for us by having multiple goals in those games. She’s only a sophomore, so I think she has a very bright future ahead of her.”

Belval and Donahoe growing into increased roles

A key aspect of the Terriers this year is underclassmen stepping up when need be. Two players in particular, freshman midfielder Kaitlin Belval and sophomore attack Avery Donahoe, have done just that.

Belval has six goals and an assist in her inaugural campaign, causing Robertshaw to praise her adjustment to college lacrosse.

“I couldn’t be happier with the way she’s been playing,” Robertshaw said. “As an incoming freshman, I think she has learned to be fearless in her play. She’s got great speed, she’s been aggressive on the play and I think we can expect to see more great things from her in the future.”

Meanwhile, Donahoe has steadily improved from the 2015 season, as she has six goals and six assists.

“I think [Avery’s] transitioning better,” Robertshaw said. “She’s having a little more fun out there, making less mistakes and becoming a risk-taking crease player.”

Meegan providing sure presence between the pipes

If there has been one consistent factor for the Terriers all season long, it’s been junior goalkeeper Caroline Meegan protecting the cage. Robertshaw called her goalkeeper a “stabilizing” force, especially when the team has awry defensive moments or is hemmed in its own zone.

Meegan, who has played nearly 465 minutes this season, has a .503 save percentage. With her play, Robertshaw said Meegan not only guides the defensive unit, but she instills confidence in the entire team.

“I think she has been making great saves all season long,” said Robertshaw. “She’s become a leader, not just for the defensive players but for the entire team. She’s been consistent all season, which allows the team to play with more confidence.”

Terriers keeping positive through ups and downs

The Terriers’ season has followed a seesaw trajectory, as shown by this past weekend’s defeat at the hands of Lehigh (9-2, 3-1 Patriot League) and the 14-13 victory over Vanderbilt University on March 22.

With those ups and downs, Robertshaw said the biggest factor is making sure that the players stay positive after a loss and enjoys themselves after a win.

“Obviously I want the team to be proud of themselves after a win, because they’ve earned it,” Robertshaw said. “Some of these wins haven’t been easy, and some of our losses have been tough to take.”

Robertshaw credited her coaching staff for helping the team get back on its feet when coming off of a difficult loss.

“I know the wins-loss column doesn’t always show it, but we’ve been battling and trying to do the right thing every single game,” she said. “The team has been listening to the coaching staff, and it’s great to see.”

Although the team has had its trying times, Robertshaw said that she couldn’t be prouder of how far it’s come.

“It’s amazing to see players step up, work hard and play as well as they can,” Robertshaw said. “There’s no other team in the league that I would want to be coaching right now. They all support one another. And as a coach, at the end of the day, I couldn’t ask for anything more.”