Verizon partnership to bring new platform to Boston

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh announced Tuesday a partnership with Verizon Wireless to enhance the city’s infrastructure through an advanced fiber-optic network. PHOTO BY ERIN BILLINGS/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston Mayor Martin Walsh announced Tuesday a partnership with Verizon Wireless, a move aimed at replacing the city’s copper-based infrastructure with a fiber-optic network platform, according to a same-day press release.

With an investment flow of $300 million from Verizon over the next six years, the network platform’s construction will commence this year in Dorchester, West Roxbury and Roxbury’s Dudley Square and is due to start later in other areas, such as Hyde Park, Mattapan and Jamaica Plain, the release stated.

Walsh said in the press release that the partnership will enhance technological growth in the near future.

“Boston is moving faster than our current infrastructure can support, and a modern fiber-optic communications platform will make us a next level city,” Walsh said in the release. “Additionally, it is a priority to ensure that every resident has expanded access to broadband and increasing competition is critical to reaching that goal.”

Verizon Executive Vice President Robert Mudge said in the press release that the partnership will have a large impact on Boston’s technological infrastructure.

“This transformation isn’t just about advanced new fiber optic technology — it’s about the innovative services this platform will allow people to create and use, today and in the future,” Mudge said in the release. “We are delivering the promise of the digital world to families, schools and medical facilities, businesses and entrepreneurs, while strengthening our neighborhoods and communities.”

The partnership began when Verizon offered Boston $100,000 to fund a mobile hotspot lending program at the Boston Public Library. Under the new partnership, Verizon will affix wireless devices to streetlights and utility poles and plans to offer the Verizon Fios TV service in Boston, the release stated.

In 2010, Verizon developed one of the world’s first 4G LTE networks in Boston. Currently, the company operates the Verizon Innovation Center in Waltham, which will oversee the testing of Verizon’s 5G wireless, according to the release.

Alessandra Brown, program manager of the Roxbury Innovation Center, said the partnership will increase mobile service options for Boston residents.

“For the City of Boston, I think it’s going to give everybody options, which is nice,” Brown said. “A majority of the neighborhoods have kind of been restricted to using one service, and so now being able to have a high speed choice — especially an affordable one — is something that will benefit everyone.”

Boston has become increasingly innovative in the technological field, and this partnership with Verizon will further boost progress, Brown added.

“Boston has, over the past several years, been in a great position when it comes to technology in the United States,” Brown said. “It has become one of the leading cities in innovation, so I think that this partnership will help us to continue to grow on that path.”

The partnership also includes a “Smart Cities Council” trial that is aimed at easing traffic congestion and enhancing traffic safety, the release stated.

Several Boston residents agreed that although becoming innovative is an important step for Boston, the city should consider other issues pertaining to mobile service.

Abayo Itabiyi, 26, of Brighton said he has not encountered any problems with the mobile service and does not see potential drawbacks of the partnership.

“It doesn’t sound like a bad thing, but obviously that would depend on other factors and other parties involved,” he said. “I’m fine with the service I get now, and I’ve never thought that it needed to be better. Being better couldn’t hurt though.”

Andrea Fishman, 25, of Allston, said these technological improvements would not necessarily help all Boston residents.

“Personally, I don’t have problems with my service, but there are clearly other issues that are more important than that,” she said. “There are people who rely on technology and their cell phones for work, but for the average person, I don’t know if [the partnership] would benefit them.”

Mariela DeLeon, 24, of Brighton, said despite never having problems with the mobile service, she applauds the partnership, which emphasizes safety.

“I switched over from AT&T to Verizon, but I never had any issues with service,” she said. “This is the first I’m hearing of the partnership, but the technology aimed towards safety sounds like a cool thing.”