Lacrosse, Sports

Men’s lacrosse heads to Holy Cross seeking Patriot League Tournament berth

Junior defenseman Dominick Calisto has been a force to be reckoned with this season, picking up 32 ground balls. PHOTO BY AMANDA LUCIDI/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The stakes at Holy Cross Field will reach a fever pitch Friday night, as two Patriot League rivals will meet with the conference tournament’s last spot on the line.

The Boston University men’s lacrosse team and the College of the Holy Cross will have no room for error — a win will make playoffs a reality, and a loss will end the 2016 season on a sour note. BU (8-5, 3-4 Patriot League) head coach Ryan Polley recognized that each play will bear an extra level of scrutiny, and his players cannot let the occasion get to their heads.

“We have to play loose, and that’s the most important thing,” Polley said. “There’s a lot on the line, and we just have to do what we’ve done all season and share the ball, not be afraid to make mistakes and go out there and play a great game. Certainly, it’s going to be a great environment. I think they’re going to get a great crowd, and I’m just really excited to play because basically the playoffs come a week earlier.”

The Terriers and Holy Cross (3-10, 2-5 Patriot League) were in a similar spot last year, as the same circumstances preceded 2015’s fixture at Nickerson Field. The Crusaders snagged a 12-10 win that day, granting them the sixth and final spot in the Patriot League Tournament’s six-team field.

BU will try to reverse those fortunes in Worcester, but its task will not be an easy one. Holy Cross has won three of its last five games, and Polley urged that its record can be slightly deceiving. Head coach Judd Lattimore’s team has lost by one goal to perennial contenders in a then-ranked Harvard University side, No. 11 Loyola University Maryland and Lehigh University.

“They’ve played well all season and I’m sure they wish their record was a little bit better, but they’re playing well now and have an opportunity to play us for the last spot in the Patriot League Tournament,” BU’s third-year head coach said. “I really think it’s going to be a great game.”

A major reason for Holy Cross’ resurgence is the attack duo of Jon Vogel and Sean Wilkinson, as well as midfielder Marc Buermann. They account for 96 of the team’s 168 points by way of a combined 74 goals and 22 assists.

Whether it’s junior defenseman Dominick Calisto man-marking one player or junior goalkeeper Christian Carson-Banister maintaining his impressive form, Polley is confident the Terriers will corral Holy Cross’ main threats.

“Vogel is a tremendous finisher, and if you give him any space, they’re really good at throwing the ball inside and he’s a great catch-and-finish guy,” Polley said. “We’ve been working on that all week to not give him any open seams and just really make sure we’re covering up inside. Then, Wilkinson — we’re going to have to make sure we have help to him, and he’s going to get some opportunities. And if we play great defense on him, then we’ll try and support when needed.”

As for the Terriers, they’re enduring a three-game losing streak and coming off a 13-12 defeat at the hands of Loyola (9-3, 6-1 Patriot League), but the general consensus is that there’s no need to fret. With injuries behind him, sophomore attack Ryan Hilburn has seven points in his last two games, and he’s always helped by classmate Jack Wilson, who’s riding a 25-game point streak.

There’s also a bevy of experienced players, as junior midfielders Cal Dearth, Adam Schaal and Pat Myers (combined 44 points) have been in these situations before.

All things considered, this iteration of the Turnpike Trophy has the makings of a historic affair, and Polley said he has faith that his team will answer the call.

“They’re prepared, they’re focused and we’re ready to go,” Polley said. “We’re excited that we played well last week, and we’re hopeful that it carries over, and we play really well on Friday night.”

Jonathan's a New Englander who writes about sports, features and politics. He currently covers men's hockey at BU, worked as Sports Editor during the spring 2016 semester and is on the FreeP's Board of Directors. Toss him a follow on Twitter at @jonathansigal.