Ex-MIT basketball player indicted for allegedly raping student in October

Between 2 and 2:50 a.m. on Oct. 18, a female student was allegedly sexually assaulted in her room at 33 Harry Agganis Way. PHOTO BY MADISON GOLDMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Between 2 and 2:50 a.m. on Oct. 18, 2015, a female student was allegedly sexually assaulted in her room at 33 Harry Agganis Way, police said. PHOTO BY MADISON GOLDMAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

A grand jury indicted a former Massachusetts Institute of Technology basketball player Tuesday for allegedly raping a female Boston University student in her dorm room at 33 Harry Agganis Way last October.

Samson Donick, 20, of Tiburon, California, is charged with aggravated rape, breaking and entering at night with the intent to commit a felony, burglary and indecent assault and battery, according to a Tuesday press release from the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office.

According to a profile for Samson Donick on MIT’s official athletics site, he was a guard for their basketball team during the 2014-15 season, when he was a freshman. Donick is not listed on the 2015-16 roster.

Donick and three other males were signed into StuVi II by two female BU students at 2 a.m. on Oct. 18, the press release stated. None were BU students, according to the statement.

Donick and one other man searched four floors and entered approximately 10 different rooms in the building to look for “a particular female student known to the second male,” according to the press release. The student they were looking for was not the same as the one allegedly assaulted.

Several students who lived in StuVi II said two men barged into their room on the night of the alleged assault, woke them up, and asked if they were “Sarah,” The Daily Free Press reported Oct. 29, 2015.

After 30 minutes, Donick found the 20-year-old victim, who did not know him. She woke up to find Donick sexually assaulting her, prosecutors said.

The victim contacted the BU Police Department, who recovered surveillance camera footage of the two men in a building stairwell and retrieved their identities from front desk where they initially signed in, according to the release.

“It is good detective work done by our police department,” BU spokesperson Colin Riley said.

MIT spokesperson Sarah McDonnell declined to comment on the specific case, but said that Donick is not currently an MIT student.

Donick is to be arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court Wednesday.