EDITORIAL: Uber prioritizes profit over safety, and young people pay

Uber has moved from the realms of massive to monopolistic in the Boston area, as drunken college students and young professionals pile into the easily accessible transportation source day and night. Zipping around the city, one may feel invincible.

Boston’s recent spate of alleged assaults, however, may curb the unbridled enthusiasm.

Michael Vedrine, 32, was arraigned Friday, pleading not guilty to two counts of rape and two counts of indecent sexual assault, according to The Boston Globe. This is the third such event in the last few months, including an alleged sexual assault in July and an accused rape in August.

The issue stems from two very specific issues in the Boston area: a service that endangers those it is intended to serve, and a failed public transportation infrastructure. The first is changing in the future, while the second leaves few to no options for young people in Boston, particularly college students.

The first issue arises in the form of a missing background check requirement for Uber drivers. Past criminal record and sexual assault history become seemingly irrelevant for potential drivers, despite the very intimate confines of a personal car. Though a law passed on Aug. 5 requires background checks of ride-hailing drivers in Massachusetts, it will not go into effect until Nov. 2017, according to the Globe.

This is not an issue to delay action on, and any number of encounters could happen between now and next fall. If a rider is intoxicated, they should be able to rely on the individual driving the vehicle to safely deliver them from point A to point B. One would expect this of a licensed taxi, and ride-hailing services should be held to the same expectation.

Vedrine, like others linked to violent incidents in the past months, has a criminal history. According to the Globe, his charges include an “eight-page driving record that includes citations for speeding, failing to stop, and other violations.”  The article also pointed out dropped charges for indecent assault and battery. However, no rider would have known this before stepping into his vehicle.

Another issue arises in the priorities of Uber when it comes to hiring drivers. On Uber’s own website, when listing the reasons why someone should become a driver, “Safety” comes third to “Earnings” and “Rewards.”  This speaks to the culture of money before safety in Uber’s business.

However, the indirect culprit of these alleged assaults is the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. On March 18, the MBTA eliminated late-night service, which transitively eliminated a cost-effective alternative to Uber. If an incapacitated individual would like to get home safely and efficiently after midnight, Uber is often viewed as the only option. The late-night service’s eradication has been criticized from all angles for disenfranchising many groups, but college students especially make up a vast majority of those out past midnight. The utter lack of infrastructure after a certain hour in Boston is endangering its citizens and empowering ride-hailing services who have prioritized money over safety.  

Couple Uber’s blatant disregard for safety with a city filled with nonchalant college students oozing a It-Wouldn’t-Happen-To-Me attitude, and there will be incidents. Uber is capitalizing on the limited options in a city filled with young people who often find themselves out in the wee hours of the morning. Every college student has one “creepy Uber story,” in an age where there should be none.