Own goal in final seconds hands women’s soccer sixth straight loss

Sophomore Dorrie Varley Barrett scored the Terriers' lone goal on Monday night. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO
Sophomore Dorrie Varley Barrett scored the Terriers’ lone goal on Monday night. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team fell to the University of Cincinnati 2-1 Monday after a devastating own goal in the final seconds. Though the contest was tight throughout, with eight seconds left on the clock, a bad touch from a BU (0-6) defender gave the Bearcats (4-2) an opportunity, sealing BU’s sixth straight loss.

Both teams battled it out in the midfield in the early minutes, but little offensive spark was shown by either side in the first half. Sophomore midfielder Julianna Chen recorded the Terriers’ first shot over six minutes into the game, with Cincinnati putting up its first shot a few minutes later.

Sixteen minutes in, senior forward Erica Kosienski worked her way around a fallen defender and put a shot on goal. The ball went wide, as sophomore striker McKenna Doyle was just a few steps short of sending it into the net.

Kosienski was an offensive leader on the evening, contributing three of the team’s 12 shots. The Bearcats barely edged out BU with 13 shots for the contest.

“[Kosienski] played great,” BU head coach Nancy Feldman said. “She’s a scorer which is going to be proven out this year. She has been her whole career. She’s eager and she’s motivated. She’s hardworking and she’s talented. I think once one [goal] comes, they’re going to come in a boatload.”

Cincinnati also had its fair share of scoring opportunities in the first half, but could not capitalize. BU defenders protected junior keeper Hannah Ciolek, who only had to make four saves despite the 13 shots faced.

The first half ended in a scoreless tie with each team putting up five shots during the first 45 minutes.

In the second half, Cincinnati forwards Taylor Jackson and Jordan Cotleur quickly worked their way into the Terriers’ end, but BU defenders quickly shut down the play. Shortly thereafter, Doyle sped up the middle towards the Bearcats’ goal, but defender Vanessa Gilles stayed on her and didn’t allow Doyle to take a shot.

It seemed that each time a team moved into the offensive zone, the other booted it back to the middle. Finally, after nearly an hour of play, forward Emma Dwenger sent the ball into the back of the net, giving the Bearcats the 1-0 lead.

The Terriers immediately answered when a shot from sophomore defender Libby Closson bounced off keeper Claudia Eustaquio’s fingers, but the keeper found the ball before it flew into the net.

Each team seemed to lose its shape a bit as fouls and corner kicks increased. Cincinnati fouled eight times in the second half alone and 11 times on the day. They also took nine corner kicks throughout the 90 minutes. BU lost its composure a bit on the defensive end in the second half as well.

“We just have to continue under pressure to try to learn how to keep our poise and our discipline,” Feldman said “I just feel like sometimes we just lost our poise and our composure.”

Following a corner kick in the 75th minute, the Terriers sent a couple shots on goal, one of which was blocked and another that was saved by Eustaquio. Sophomore midfielder Dorrie Varley-Barrett found classmate Chelsea Churchill’s rebound and tied the game.

Each team had a few more chances. It seemed the game would go into overtime, but with mere seconds left, the Terriers chances of earning their first win of the season ended with an own goal.

Despite the game’s disappointing conclusion, Feldman remains positive.

“I do believe in the end you get what you earned and I do feel that that’s going to happen for this team.”