Uber driver accused of sexually assaulting passenger appears in court

Due to recent sexual assault allegations, Uber drivers may have to go through stricter background checks to ensure the safety of their passengers under a new Massachusetts law. PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/ DFP FILE PHOTO

An Uber driver was arraigned Friday for allegedly assaulting a female passenger in her 20s in the early morning of Aug. 31, according to a Friday release from the Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley’s office.

Michael Vedrine, 32, from Brockton, allegedly raped the victim inside his car on the way to her home, according to the release. The accused continued assaulting the victim after she asked him to stop, and then allegedly followed the victim after she left the vehicle and assaulted her again.

He was released on his own recognizance after the arraignment and will reappear in court on Oct. 13, the release stated. Prosecutors initially recommended Vedrine be held on $50,000 cash bail, be required to wear a GPS device and be banned from “driving any livery vehicle.”

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans, wrote in an email statement the case is “extremely troubling,” reminding residents to be careful when using ride-hailing services.

“This incident is a disturbing reminder of how important it is to ensure the safety of all residents, visitors and students in our city who use ridesharing services,” Evans wrote. “I still support the need for strict background checks and increased security measures because public safety is, and always has been, my number one priority.”

Uber spokesperson Kayla Whaling wrote in an email that the company will cooperate with BPD for the investigation, noting “legal limitations” as a reason Uber doesn’t receive more information during background screenings.

“These allegations are disheartening, and we will continue to work closely with the Boston Police Department to assist their investigation,” Whaling wrote. “While no background checks are perfect, we are addressing this and pushing for relevant information to be digitized so all companies can have access to it.”

Toni Troop, a spokesperson for Jane Doe Inc., an advocacy group focusing on sexual and domestic violence, said the publicity from the case serves as a precaution for people who have or might commit sexual assault.

“[W]e believe that as much as we need to be putting effort into ensuring accountability for offenders or individuals, we often need to be investing long-term prevention strategies,” Troop said. “We believe that everybody has a role to play, that corporations have a role to play, their policies for how they are going to address the needs of victims and people who are their employees.”

Several Boston residents called for stronger background checks for ride-hailing drivers and more efforts to the risks of sexual assault.

Jowanna Fisher, 48, of Back Bay, said the background check process should include an in-depth look into people’s records to ensure credibility.

“They need to do a thorough background check because they seem to be hiring anybody off of the street, and you cannot do that,” she said. “You have to check people thoroughly because people do have records that are sealed up from years ago.”

Folake, 24, of Fenway, said women should have alternative and protective measures when unconscious and unable to make sane judgments.

“They have a new app, Chariot, which is safer for women,” she said. “If a woman is drunk or is using uberPOOL or something like that, she is at serious risk of sexual assault, so Chariot may be a good app to prevent that.”

Richard Stroshane, 64, of Brighton, said all background checks are crucial to passengers’ safety when using ride-sharing services.

“That is important that drivers be properly vetted, that there be a background check or a query,” he said. “They can be held to the same standards as taxi drivers.”