Going for Two: Calling all Moncada critics

Yoan Moncada has made Fenway Park his new home after a September call-up. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMOSN

The Boston Red Sox were once again in the headlines earlier this month when they called up supposed super-prospect Yoan Moncada from Double-A Portland to join the major league club after rosters expanded on Sept. 1.

However, in his brief time in Boston, Moncada has been anything but super. In eight games, the third baseman has 19 at-bats but an underwhelming four hits — good for a dismal .211 batting average. What’s even more alarming is that the 21-year-old has struck out 12 times in his 15 major league outs. And while some Red Sox fans are screaming that Moncada was not ready to make the jump from Double-A ball to the majors, the Red Sox front office is right.

Yes, I understand that Moncada has lost the starting third base job to the platoon of Travis Shaw and Aaron Hill — both of whom have been subpar this year. However, the Cuban prospect was not called up in order to play every day and pick up the offensive production from third base. No, the reason John Henry and company called up Moncada was to give him vital major league experience as the Red Sox play meaningful baseball down the stretch against some of the best teams in the MLB.

With fewer than 20 games remaining, Boston has to face all four of its American League East opponents, three of which are still fighting to make the playoffs. Competition in the final days of the regular season is picking up as the New York Yankees, Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays all try to make late-September playoff pushes. Meanwhile, Moncada will grow exponentially as he faces pitching from playoff-caliber teams all throwing their best hurlers.

Besides, familiarizing Moncada with the best arms of your divisional opponents can only be a boon to the Red Sox in the coming years.

Additionally, if Boston were to make the playoffs, expect Moncada’s play to improve as the competition — and stakes — grow greater with each passing game.

Keeping a player like Moncada on Boston’s 40-man roster also helps the Red Sox on the base paths. In his past two seasons in the minor leagues, Moncada has stolen a total of 94 bases in 109 opportunities. The infielder also showcased his quick-footedness back in Class A Greenville earlier this year when Moncada dashed around the bases for an inside-the-park homerun in mid-July. In his 2014 workout for major league teams — roughly three months before the then 19-year-old signed with Boston — Moncada ran around a 6.56-second 60-yard dash, good for a 70 on MLB scouts’ 80-point scale.

Red Sox fans around the world know the value of having a fast player on the base paths in crucial moments. Dave Roberts was an integral part of the 2004 World Series team that beat the Yankees in the American League Championship Series thanks largely in part to Roberts’ historic steal in game four. In 2013 Quintin Berry stole a base in each playoff series as the Red Sox went on to capture their third title in 10 years.

This season has been a bit of a different story, as pitcher Steven Wright injured his shoulder after being used as a pinch runner for the Red Sox back in early August.  

And for those of you still chastising Dave Dombrowski and the rest of the Boston front office for bringing up a now-struggling Moncada, they have done it before with resounding success. In 2007, as the Red Sox were rolling through the American League, General Manager Theo Epstein — you know, the guy who has the Cubs in first place and won two World Series titles by the age of 33 — called up then-prospect Jacoby Ellsbury to get some valued major league experience as the Red Sox went on their playoff run. All Ellsbury did was hit .438 in the 2007 World Series, while striking out just twice in 18 plate appearances.

Six years later, the Red Sox again tested the waters with another prospect when they called up Xander Bogaerts to the roster as Boston streaked into the 2013 playoffs. The “X-man” was less successful, hitting .250 in the regular season and .296 in the postseason. However, his play against tough teams in high-stakes games was valuable to the young rookie who has blossomed into one of the best young players in baseball today, while winning the 2015 Silver Slugger and getting a 2016 All-Star nod.

So Red Sox fans, do not fret over Yoan Moncada’s early struggles and do not start tearing into the Boston management for bringing him up to the big leagues. Players like Moncada and Andrew Benintendi give the Red Sox flexibility and valued speed down the stretch against tough playoff-caliber opponents. And conversely, the prospects are given the exposure to great major league competition all the while gaining valuable advice, experience and plate appearances against the best players in the game today.