Field Hockey, Sports

No. 9 field hockey’s unselfishness empowers 9-point second half

Sophomore midfielder/back Allie Doggett has six points thus far. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After a first half in which the No. 9 Boston University field hockey team’s head coach Sally Starr said “we wasted 35 minutes,” the Terriers’ (7-0, 1-0 Patriot League) offense came alive against Colgate University on Saturday, putting up season-high numbers in almost every offensive category en route to a 9-0 win.

The Raiders’ (1-8, 0-1 Patriot League) goalkeeper Maria Krull, who led the NCAA in saves per game last year, saved 12 of the Terriers’ 18 shots she faced in the first half and held BU scoreless.

“Their goalie was outstanding,” Starr said. “But also we weren’t as smart in the goal scoring area.”

The Terriers netted nine second-half goals, eclipsing their previous season-high four goals in a half.

“I was really proud of how we played in the second half,” Starr said. “To score nine goals in the second half, you have to do particularly well, and I think we were just really smart in our attacking circle. Making the extra pass, really beating defenders, but also beating a really good goalie.”

Sophomore midfielder/fullback Allie Doggett netted BU’s first tally on an unselfish extra pass from sophomore forward Ally Hammel in the 43rd minute of play. After failing to convert on the first penalty corner chance of the half, in which an errant pass sailed down field into the BU defensive zone, the Terriers were able to capitalize on a specially drawn-up play.

BU also bested season marks in both total shots taken and shots on goal.

Hammel then scored a goal of her own seven minutes later to make the score 2-0, and the Terriers finished the game taking 36 shots, five higher than the previous game high in 2016.

The Raiders, on the other hand, took only one shot in each half, neither of which were put on goal.

“We are a Porsche, but when we are playing in third gear, and that’s not us,” Starr said. “In the second half we were the Porsche playing in all six gears, particularly really punching it in and playing with speed, playing with intelligence.”

BU had eight different goal scorers in the contest, with Hammel netting two. This proves the unselfishness of the Terriers’ attack. Senior forward Madeline McClain assisted on three consecutive goals, and junior midfielder Kali Shumock recorded two assists in the rout.

In the second half, BU’s possessions were more thorough, and the ball was touched by more players in each offensive set. Starr said sharing the ball sparked the Terriers’ offensive potency through the final 35 minutes.

Saturday’s contest was the Patriot League opener for both BU and Colgate. The Terriers travel to face in-conference rival Lafayette University Friday before arguably their biggest matchup of the season against the No. 5 University of Connecticut.

“We really need to be ready to play 70 minutes,” Starr said. “It’s more fun to play 70 minutes. The first half was not fun, the second half was fun. These guys want to enjoy their experience. The season goes too fast to squander 35 minutes of hockey, so I think that’s the lesson today.”