Going for Two: New dogs in the fight

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr looks to bring the Raiders to new heights this year. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

For the past decade, the state of the NFL has roughly remained unchanged. The same teams like the New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers have largely controlled the league and have, more often than not, found their way into the last game of the year.

In fact, the last time the AFC had a team go to the Super Bowl under a quarterback not named Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger or Flacco was back in 2002. In that year, the Oakland Raiders won the conference with MVP Rich Gannon under center before falling to Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl. However, the once-stagnant AFC is now morphing as teams from the bottom have begun to move their way to the top.

After that loss to the Buccaneers in Super Bowl XXXVII, the Raiders began a downward spiral that has yet to be stemmed. That 2002 season was not only the last time Oakland qualified for the postseason, but it was also the last time the Raiders had a record better than .500.

However, there is cause for hope in the Bay Area. Third year quarterback Derek Carr has revitalized an Oakland offense that had been laughable before the Fresno State slinger arrived. In his first two seasons, Carr threw 53 touchdowns, 7,257 yards, had a quarterback ranking of 83.9 and was named to the Pro Bowl for his 2015 season.

This year, Carr will benefit from his top receiver — Amari Cooper — having a full year of NFL play under his belt. A former wideout for Alabama, Cooper lived up to expectations in his 2015 rookie season. The 6-foot-1 receiver hauled in six touchdowns and 72 receptions all the while becoming the first Raider since Randy Moss in 2005 to amass over 1,000 yards in a season.

A Pro Bowl alternate last year, Cooper will excel from already having a full season with Carr in the Oakland offense. The team’s passing offense begins with Carr and Cooper, but is made even more lethal with the impact of running back Latavius Murray.

Murray really started to get into a groove in 2015, when the Central Florida product rushed for over 1,000 yards and punched in six touchdowns. Another key to Murray’s big season was the departure of Darren McFadden and the retirement of Maurice Jones-Drew, who sat above Murray on the depth chart.

With a lethal running game to complement a passing attack that features two Pro Bowlers, the Oakland offense has become anything but one-dimensional. Look for the Raiders to put up points in bunches this season if they can effectively balance their attack, while mixing in tosses to slot receivers like Michael Crabtree.

While the Raiders look to make a push in the now Manning-less AFC West, the Jacksonville Jaguars will look to take advantage of a declining AFC South in hopes of qualifying for the playoffs for the first time since 2007.

Following the 2007 season, the Jaguars went into a long phase of rebuilding that first started to show signs of paying off in 2014. In that year’s draft, Jacksonville selected Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles with the third overall pick.

Despite a sub-par rookie season that saw him throw 17 interceptions — tied for third most in the league with Drew Brees and Jay Cutler — Bortles showed great promise. The following season, he posted even better numbers, throwing 1,520 more yards than in 2014 while crafting a 56.2 QBR to go along with 35 touchdowns.

Flying under the radar for the past two seasons, Bortles has had time to create a comfortable relationship with receiver Allen Hurns — who has also been with Jacksonville since 2014.

In the past two years, Hurns and Bortles have connected numerous times for scores, including Bortles’ first TD pass that came on a 63-yard toss to Hurns against Indianapolis.

Running back T.J. Yeldon adds to Jacksonville’s dual-threat offense — one that is further bolstered by Bortles’ running ability. A rookie in 2015, Yeldon rushed for 740 yards and two touchdowns as he beat out veteran Toby Gerhart for the starting job. With defenses having to prepare for a number of schemes from a multitalented Gus Bradley offense, the Jaguars would benefit from a triple-option style offense that would put the game in Bortles’ hands.

Through the first few weeks of football, it appears as though the AFC’s top dogs will remain largely unchanged. The Patriots and Steelers have still proven that they belong in the Super Bowl conversation and have rolled to a quick 2-0 start. However, as only eight teams are undefeated through two contests, the rest of the field is wide open.

With the Colts stumbling last year in the AFC South, and the window to overtake the western crown seemingly open, do not be surprised if the Jaguars or Raiders make a late season push with a trip to the playoffs on the line.