OLIVIER: Are smartphones smarter than we think?

Governed almost entirely by the infinite possibilities of this age’s technological advancements, we’ve fallen victim to the seduction of the smartphone. Our iPhones and Androids are no longer simply mobile devices; what was once a separate entity used for basic communication has now become a key aspect of our identity, a part of ourselves we cannot otherwise fulfill.

We’re all aware that the National Security Agency spies on much of the internet traffic circulating the United States, but what we do not know is the shocking truth as to how the NSA has recently discovered great quantities of private information.

The New York Times and ProPublica exposed in Aug. 2015 that the NSA partnered with American telecom giant AT&T. Relations between the agency and American telecommunications companies have long been in existence, but the ongoing exchange between AT&T and the NSA proved to be notably advantageous.

For over a decade AT&T gave the NSA access to its domestic networks, revealing billions of private emails under numerous different legal regulations. What’s even more frightening is AT&T’s execution of a classified court order violating the United Nations headquarters, allowing the wiretapping of all internet correspondence. Private government documents validated the NSA having full access to all material transmitted along vital domestic fiber optic cable networks, violating private information.

The NSA’s government surveillance program justifies the violation of privacy by referencing our nation’s security and attacks like Saturday’s explosion in New York. Working closely with major companies like AT&T, the NSA has the power to tap into our country’s most private affairs in ways we cannot fathom. Millions of AT&T customers have had their rights violated, a key facet of our Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Everyone with a cell phone runs the risk of having their mobile device bugged by America’s major surveillance agencies, including the CIA. Without even knowing, others can easily gain access to our daily electronic activity, recording our every move while we remain completely oblivious. With inexpensive spy apps now on the market, ordinary citizens can spy with the same ease as any law enforcement or government agency. One example is the app known as DDI Utilities, which focuses on developing technology used for gathering information, independent of the target’s location relative to that of the pursuer. Perhaps the most invasive aspect of DDI is its “Stealth Camera” feature, allowing the target’s camera to privately snap pictures and send them to the monitoring device.

While this is undoubtedly disturbing, it is also unethical. It poses threats not only to our privacy, but to our safety from anonymous viewers. The fact that one of our own government agencies falls into line with such dishonorable conduct raises red flags regarding the true intent of our nation’s security.

For AT&T customers like myself, genuine privacy is a facade. Whether we’re making a phone call, sending a text message or updating our social media profiles, we are wrong to assume those with whom we intend to share our private information is our only audience. As a generation who places such a heavy emphasis on the use of mobile technology, it is time we start considering the dangers that lie within the deception of some of America’s most powerful corporations.