GSU extended operation hour to adjust to students’ needs

The George Sherman Union, along with the Fresh Food Company at Warren Towers, is now open to students until 10 p.m. PHOTO BY ADRIANNA DIAZ/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

As dozens of Boston University students studied and ate at the George Sherman Union on a casual Monday evening, many said they appreciated BU Dining Services’ decision to keep some of the GSU facilities open until 10 p.m. on weeknights.

While places like Panda Express and BU Cheeseology still close at 8 p.m., students can now get a cup of coffee from Starbucks munch on a burger from Rhett’s and study in the Union Court for two more hours.

Nicole Weinroth, a junior in the College of Communication, said she can always use some snacks while she is studying, so she appreciates the late hours.

“Sometimes I come here, and the only thing open is City Convenience,” she said. “That used to close early, too. So if you’re hungry and studying in the library, there were no options.

Mercedes Cisneros, a sophomore in the College of General Studies, said she used to study at the Howard Thurman Center for Common Ground, which is located in the basement of GSU and closes at 9 p.m.

“It’s cool to be able to come up here and be in the GSU,” said Cisneros. “I also like having something to snack on so it’s great that City Convenience and Rhett’s are still open.”

Starting this past summer, the GSU was not the only on-campus dining establishment that implemented longer hours — the The Fresh Food Co. at Warren Towers will also close at 10 p.m., BU Dining Services spokesperson Scott Rosario wrote in an email.

“Changing the other dining room hours will depend on how students respond to the change implemented at Warren Towers,” Rosario wrote. “Dining Services will be monitoring how many students frequent Warren towers during the new hour of service.”

Rosario mentioned in his email that students will see some other changes coming from BU Dining Services this year — all dining locations will accept credit cards, Warren’s grill station will undergo updates and the GSU’s grab-and-go area will include more product options.

Jacob Dufault, a senior in the College of Engineering, works on his homework in the GSU, which is now open until 10 p.m. PHOTO BY ALEX MASSET/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Reena Chabria, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she frequently goes to the Union Court, and the GSU is a more convenient place to study than Mugar because food is available at GSU.

“I feel like the later you stay, the hungrier you get,” she said. “And since [almost] everything’s open, you can pick up food whenever you want. It also works better with my schedule because I have class late and then I’m able to come here.”

BU Operations Director Daniel Solworth said the university changed hours of operation because BU students have expressed the needs for later closing times.

“As we looked at the way students were using their dining plans and the way they were utilizing the dining halls and GSU, coupled with the class schedules, the university identified that many students were taking classes in the evening hours,” Solworth said. “[They] would sometimes not be out of class until 9 p.m. and would start that class at 6 p.m., not leaving them many dining options for dinner.”

Erin Thomas, a freshman in the College of Engineering, said she is glad that the GSU is now open until 10 p.m., and it is especially helpful for students who study at night.

“I just ate dinner here at around 8:30,” she said. “If it had closed any earlier, I wouldn’t have been able to eat. I definitely think that the GSU is a convenient option because I know a lot of students usually study pretty late and coming in here to get food is super easy. I like being able to eat and study in the same place because if I move around, I get less productive.”

Drew Faria, a CAS sophomore, said the GSU is a more social place to study, plus it’s nice to have the option to go there later in the evening.

“GSU is great because it encourages other people to come here too,” Faria said. “You can get a study group going in GSU rather than Mugar because you can’t really talk in there. It’s easy to eat and hang out so it’s definitely a good thing it’s open later.”