JOHNSTON: What food says about the 2016 political environment

It’s not often that food consumption becomes a major topic of a tightly fought political race, but when you’re really stuck between two ridiculous candidates, it might be helpful to acknowledge their take on diets.

One can only assume that Hillary Clinton is no novice when it comes to fine dining. She has lived the glory life since she went by Hillary Rodham, dining lavishly on taxpayers’ money as a first lady, senator and secretary of state.

Although I cannot attest to her favorite foods, I think it’s fair to say that such a busy woman hasn’t been cooking most of her meals recently, and I doubt she goes for fast or frozen food on a regular basis.

After all, she needs to keep her health in tip top shape. Oh wait.

Trump, who claims to be in great physical condition, has also seen his fair share of expensive dinners.

However, the Republican front runner has been rather outspoken about his love for cheaper, faster, less healthy foods. He believes in them. They are America.

One might think back to the burrito bowl incident on Cinco de Mayo, where he tweeted, along with a picture, “Happy Cinco de Mayo! The best taco bowls are made in Trump Tower Grill. I love Hispanics!”

Despite offending some who viewed the tweet as no more than a stunt to lure in the Hispanic vote (which it surely did not) Trump also used the situation to relate to the common folk of America. These are the people who eat burrito bowls instead of caviar.

This was one of many fast food plugs initiated by The Donald in an attempt to remind voters that he understands how fast food is a staple crop of the American food landscape.

The New York Times in August referred to Trump as a “junk food aficionado.” While definitely not a compliment, the comment was perhaps a testament to the maverick approach he has brought to the election

In a country where people can be hyper-concerned about GMOs and gluten-free alternatives around every corner, it’s an interesting approach to attract some voters who are fed up with the hysteria.

Perhaps it’s also an attempt to get the support of the big-time fast food chains like McDonald’s or Burger King. I have yet to see that work out for him, but it’s an interesting hypothesis.

Praising fast food is in stark contrast to the work of First Lady Michelle Obama over the past eight years.

Like all first ladies, Michelle was commissioned with working on some sort of project to benefit the country. After being given lists of possible initiatives, she decided to tackle the obesity problem in the country. Anyone should applaud that.

Unfortunately, her efforts haven’t been appreciated by all. After demanding lunch foods in public schools be altered to provide healthier options, many noticed the quality decrease.

Yes, quality is a subjective term, but not having pizza at lunch time after a long day of reading picture books in the classroom would be a major drag. An occasional fried chicken option would also not have me up in arms.

Indeed, this is beyond the point. Maybe it’s a good thing that kids are being given healthier foods, but is that the job of the government?

After all, George Washington certainly did not intend on Congress voting on nutrition standards for school lunches, as they did following Michelle’s agenda announcements. That is an absolutely absurd overstep of power.

The people of this country should have all the say in what goes into their bodies, and parents should be the ones training their kids to eat right.

Yes, many fail at their job to do so, and we should be happy that a woman of Michelle’s stature is trying to enlighten us, but legislation is not the answer.

Trump and Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson both believe the government should back off. That’s what the constitution intended, and the citizens should not be wasting their tax money on programs that control your activities such as eating.

Clinton will surely continue Michelle’s agenda, handing off the work to whomever she chooses. Maybe they’ll approach it differently. Probably not.

Of course, I don’t want to see fast food make its way into our public schools. The obesity problem scares me as well. More government overreach, though, which would come with Clinton, will leave many starving kids without pizza, and that saddens me.